cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Allowing a Basic MSI install to run mutliple times

Hello, I am wondering if it possible to have a Basic MSI install project run multile times on the same machine without bringing up the maintenance dialog box?

Here is what I am doing:
We have been requested to create an install that is an uncompress install that simply contains a users .zip file that when uncompressed will contain all the customized user data files that they can use with our software. This install will simply place this .zip file into the correct user data folder and then uncompress it, and then properly register the data.

Now this again is an uncompressed install so that the user can update the zip file when ever they want and as long as the .zip file is the same name they just have to replace the one in my install project. Once the file is updated they simply run the install and it will install their data files.

This works good on the initial install, but then if they have updated data files they would replace the .zip file again and push out the install. When they do it comes out in maintenance mode because the install does not get rebuilt and therefore no newer package code it generated.

We just wanted to create a simple install package that the user can simple replace the .zip file and then re-run it without having to come to us to rebuild the install package for them.

So I just need to know if there is a way that the install could be run mutiple times as first time install mode. If not then is there a way to have the install automatically uninstall the previous version, like major upgrade mode and then install again?

If there are any other suggestions then let me know.

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Cromagnon35
Level 4

have you looked at MSI flags on the command line such as /f?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Thanks, I was thinking of just UI mode installs and therefore forgot that pushing out would have these commands. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
0 Kudos