cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alibaba
Level 6

Adding Support Files during Setup

Hello!

Is there a possibility to add files to the support files during the setup execution or UI Sequence? Because I need these files during uninstallation and does not know them on build process.
Especially I want to add registry information from additional reg files and use them to delete the registry data on uninstall.
Or do I have to install them for instance in INSTALLDIR?

Is there another way to log these changes for uninstallation?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Where would the support files be, if not available at build time?

For part of the question, to remove files not installed by your installer, you might look into the RemoveFile table of your project, exposed in the Direct Editor view; for registry data, the "-" (remove all) flag might be of use.
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Level 6

Hi Robert,

I implemented a function that ads registry information from additional reg files. The registry entries are different for each customer and I don't want to build a custom setup for each customer. So the project managers have the possibility to add their registry information by using a folder in Setupexedir named AddReg. All these reg-files are added to registry and then modified with a "-" so that I can execute them to delete the registry entries on uninstall. But I don't want to copy these modified reg files to installdir. Instead I want to add them to supportdir and catch them from there for uninstallation. Is this possible? Or any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Well, the support directory is deleted when the installation completes, so it's not a useful place to store files for later.

If the "parent" registry key is always the same, you could use the "-" flag in the InstallShield registry views to ensure the contents of a key are all deleted during uninstallation. The MSI help topic "Registry Table" has more information.
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Level 6

Thanks a lot for your help 🙂 , you are the greatest Robert. I almost feel a bit sheepish about the issue with the support files. Also thank you for the tip with the parent key, maybe this could also be a solution.
0 Kudos