cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenzLiu
Level 4

About upgrade

Hi all,
I create a simple MSI project. I want to known how to create a major upgrade. As far as I know, I need change Product code, package code and Product version , exposed in the product properties view of the IDE. But the product code is different , window installer does not know there is any connection between the two version. So it will not attempt to update the earlier version of product. This is really a puzzle to me.

Regards
Benz
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The Upgrade table sets up a connection between two products with different ProductCode values. You can create a major upgrade item in InstallShield's Upgrades view to set this up, or edit the table directly in the Direct Editor view.
0 Kudos
BenzLiu
Level 4

hi RobertDickau,
Thank you for your information.
But how to set it up in the update view ?
If I built a patch in the patch view, I will seletct a mis file as the last version and select other mis file as the previous version. This can be comprehended easily. But during building a upgrade, in my opinion, installer can't find the previous version if the product code has been changed. I want know how to build a connection between tow different product code.The MSI Help Library describes the fields used in a record in the Updgrade table. In the FindRelatedProducts action, Windows Installer will runs through each record of the Upgrade table in sequence and compares the upgrade code, product version, and language in each row to products installed on the system. When FindRelatedProducts detects a correspondence between the upgrade information and an installed product, it appends the product code to the property specified in the ActionProperty column of the UpgradeTable. But if the product code is different between tow product, how to get the corresponding product ?
0 Kudos