cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manomatt
Level 8

A question on Chained Msi invoking

Hello All...

I have a chained msi which has one master setup.exe and two child msi's. The child msi's are invoked silently from the master, I wanted to know is it possible to invoke the master installer silently so that it will silently invoke the child msi's as well ?

thanking you in advance.

mano
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DavidAshelman
Level 2

Mano,
You will require a silent install command for each setup installation.

If you are making a silent install for the InstallShield Pro Setup EXE, you will record a
setup.iss file.

Setup.exe /r
Then you will copy the file c:\Windows\setup.iss into the folder where your setup.exe lives

then you will launch
Setup /s
And your installation will be silent and have no dialogs.

If you are calling MSIs silently, you will probably be calling LaunchAppAndWait

C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe yourMsi_I.msi /qn /l*v%temp%\myMsi1.log
C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe yourMsi_II.msi /qn /l*v%temp%\myMsi2.log

The /qn is a switch understood by the Windows Installer service to skip the portion of the MSI software application setup that generates the Dialogs.
Therefore,...
It is a Good suggestion to place no software install logic directly into the Dialogs themselves.
Because you may want to call the installer w/o dialog.

If you have to do this, you can define software install-time variables which may take initial value through the command string.
(So you can skip the dialogs, you set the properties when launching)

C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe yourMsi_I.msi LICENSE=YES SERVER=HOST VALUE=7 /qn /l*v%temp%\myMsi1.log

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

hello DavidAshelman,

I was using the chained Msi's approach. But anyways thankyou for the information.

after some testing i figured out this it is possible to launch the master msi, which is having setup.exe, silently and the chained msis will install.

mano
0 Kudos