cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMadden
Level 6

64Bit MergeModules install into Program Files (x86) by mistake

Hi,

I have an InstallScript 2009 project that includes 64Bit MergeModules (using the Merge Module Holder object). The TARGETDIR and Merge Module default destinations are set to [ProgramFiles64Folder]MyDir.

All files except the MergeModules end up in [ProgramFiles64Folder]MyDir. The MMs keep installing into [ProgramFilesFolder]MyDir.

Using Disable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION) in the script didn't help.

I looked at the msi files that are created during buildtime for each MergeModule in the Disk Images\MsiStub\ folders. They have the Platform set to Intel;1033 instead of x64. I think that is the problem.

Does anyone know how to have it build with x64 instead?

Using the automation interface to alter the msi files after the build doesn't help because we create a selfextracting exe. By the time I can access the msi files, the SFX is already built.

Any ideas?

-Sandra
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It should be possible to create a single exe InstallScript package from the uncompressed build using ReleasePackager.exe; is the stub msi available in the uncompressed build?
0 Kudos
SMadden
Level 6

yes the msi stubs are available and I created a postbuild step using the WiSumInf.vbs to first change their Template summary to x64;1033 and then using the repackager to create the SFX for complete Disk Image.

Unfortunately it didn't help. The MergeModules still install their files into Program Files (x86).

When I open the altered stub MSI's in InstallShield, the Template Summary field looks fine, but when being opened in Orca, the platform drop down field has nothing selected and the only item in the drop down list is Intel.

It looks like you can't just change the target platform of an MSI in the summary Information Stream. Something else needs to be changed too. Maybe something in the binary table?

I think I have to scrap this approach for now since it's costing too much time already. I'll start creating Basic MSI projects for each merge module and include the MSI's in the Script Installer instead of the Merge Modules directly. It's quite an overhead, but it might be the only way out for now.

Sandra
0 Kudos