cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svengalamr
Level 4

64 bit installer launching 32 bit msiexec

Hi,

We have a Setup.exe of x64 type, When we try to run the setup.exe on a 64Bt machine the installer is launching a 32bt Msiexec process as well.

All the components are 64Bt and we Dont have any IIS related changes. Can someone help me why the installer is launching the 32bt process??

Thanks

Sesha

vengalamseshu@gmail.com
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
PlinyElder
Level 7

You must set the release configuration to have the 'Architecture Validation' set to STRICT. Then set the 'Template Summary' to x64 and set your components to 64-Bit Component = Yes. I believe that ALL files that are contained within your release are compiled as 64bit files/dlls or else the installshield build will fail.
0 Kudos
svengalamr
Level 4

Hi PlinyElder,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I forgot to add few more details of the application.

InstallShield Version: 2015
InstallShield Project Type: basic MSI.

I have few custom Actions which will execute the InstallScript.

Just to try with a small example, I created a new BasicMSI installer of 64Bt type and added a file and set the 'Architecture Validation' to STRICT. Then set the 'Template Summary' to x64 and set your components to 64-Bit.

But when I try to compile the ISM, got an error " InstallScript Custom Action must not be included in a Strict 64-Bit package".

Considering that we have few InstallScript CAs , please let me know how can we make sure that my package will not launch a 32-bit MSIExec process.

Thanks in Advance.

Seshu
0 Kudos
PlinyElder
Level 7

Im not sure why the Installscript wouldnt compile but maybe that cant be done with Installscript.. Can you make the custom actions work through Managed Code, like C# or VB?
0 Kudos