cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DWillis
Level 5

64-bit driver and 32-bit app install?

Is it possible to install a 64-bit driver and 32-bit application on a 64-bit windows OS? If so, what's the trick?

I am trying to find in the documentation about how to have a single installer identify different windows OS and install the appropriate driver for them, but I am having a heck of a time finding anything in the documentation.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

Please be more specific.

Do you want to install 32 bit and 64 bit driver packages (using DIFxAPP built in support or DIFxAPP merge modules) from within a single MSI package? That´s not possible.

Here´s a similar post:
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=174380
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

Holger_G wrote:
Please be more specific.

Do you want to install 32 bit and 64 bit driver packages (using DIFxAPP built in support or DIFxAPP merge modules) from within a single MSI package? That´s not possible.

Here´s a similar post:
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=174380

Well, I have drivers for win2000, win2k3, xp, vista, and the 64-bit versions. I was hoping to build a single installer to basically identify what OS-type it is, and then install the appropriate driver.

The application I have which handles the user space of the driver is a 32-bit only application. So, that means for the x64 installs, I have to install the 64-bit driver but the 32-bit application.

So, I'm trying to figure out if this is even possible, or if I have to create a physical install for EVERY operating system type I need to support.

Sounds like I at least have to have a seperate install for win32 and x64, at the minimum.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

Not sure how many driver packages you have to install but a workaround would be to use a custom action to install the driver packages using the stand alone tool DPInst.exe (part of DIFx).
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

Holger_G wrote:
Not sure how many driver packages you have to install but a workaround would be to use a custom action to install the driver packages using the stand alone tool DPInst.exe (part of DIFx).

Hrm. I'll check out the custom action stuff. When you say "packages" do you mean the driver components I have defined in my Installer project?

So I would basically just create a component for each OS type, and then use a custom action to trigger DPInst.exe to install that component?

Or do you mean I have to create a bunch of actual installer packages for each driver, and then call that to install? If so, I'm assumming each of those packages are treated like every other normal installer project.

sorry, this is still very new to me. I greatly appreciate the assistance.
0 Kudos
lam1278
Level 6

DWillis wrote:
Is it possible to install a 64-bit driver and 32-bit application on a 64-bit windows OS? If so, what's the trick?

I am trying to find in the documentation about how to have a single installer identify different windows OS and install the appropriate driver for them, but I am having a heck of a time finding anything in the documentation.

We have a Basic MSI installation and let the install put our 32-bit application on a 64-bit machine in the "x86" portion of the machine, but our driver installer is smart enough to figure out if the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit and automatically installs the proper version of the drivers. The driver installation is done as a Setup Prerequisite. So you could target the OS in there if you have separate driver installations, that would be one easy way.

Let me save you some time though... your 64-bit drivers HAVE TO BE DIGITALLY SIGNED for Vista 64-bit!! We are running into this now, and are looking into going through the winqual.microsoft.com website to do so.

Hope this helps.

Lynn
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

lam1278 wrote:
We have a Basic MSI installation and let the install put our 32-bit application on a 64-bit machine in the "x86" portion of the machine, but our driver installer is smart enough to figure out if the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit and automatically installs the proper version of the drivers. The driver installation is done as a Setup Prerequisite. So you could target the OS in there if you have separate driver installations, that would be one easy way.

Let me save you some time though... your 64-bit drivers HAVE TO BE DIGITALLY SIGNED for Vista 64-bit!! We are running into this now, and are looking into going through the winqual.microsoft.com website to do so.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

Thanks for the information. I very much appreciate it.
0 Kudos