cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swilks
Level 5

64 Bit Registry Search

Hello All,

My apologies - 3 threads in 3 days ... hopefully my last for a while.

Can someone explain what the tick box (Search the 64-Bit portion of registry does) in the system search wizard ? I looked in the help guides for the system search wizard and there is no mention of it there.

I have setup a search for a key in....
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup

Of course this works without fail on 32 bit apps, however on a 64Bit server running a 64bit version of SQL Server, the search fails to find the key.
I am assuming because it doesn't access the 64 portion of registry even though I have this option ticked and the key definitely exists.

Should I be adding a different search for....
HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup and ticking the 64-Portion tick box to get it to find the desired key.

I am 100% the key is there but trying to work out why the search doesnt find it. I do not wish to have to create separate 64 and 32 installation packages if I can help it.

Many Thanks in advance.....
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Mrunmayee
Level 5

//This will cause all subsequent registry operations to access the 64-bit section
REGDB_OPTIONS = REGDB_OPTIONS | REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY; //for 64 bit support,addthis line before you call any registry related API

REGDB_OPTIONS = REGDB_OPTIONS & ~REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY; //to revert to 32-bit, add this line after calling the Registry API

Hope this will help you.it's working for me. I've a songle setup which supports both 32 and 64 bit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mrunmayee
0 Kudos
Swilks
Level 5

So your suggesting I add "SET PROPERTY" custom actions for the REGDB_OPTIONS property both before and after the AppSearch or RMCCPSearch routines in the User Interface sequence ?
0 Kudos
gprasadholla
Level 4

Is your installer is 64Bit installer?

If you need to search for 64Bit branch (HKEYLM\Software) then the search path should be HKEYLM\Software with the checkbox checked.

You can post your verbose log, so that we can figure out whats going on ther..
0 Kudos
Mrunmayee
Level 5

Hello Swilks,

What i meant is you can add below two lines of code in installscript functions

//This will cause all subsequent registry operations to access the 64-bit section
REGDB_OPTIONS = REGDB_OPTIONS | REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY; //for 64 bit support,addthis line before you call any registry related API in installscript

REGDB_OPTIONS = REGDB_OPTIONS & ~REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY; //to revert to 32-bit, add this line after calling the Registry API in installscript.

Instead of using system search, you can write script to check the registry.

--Mrunmayee
0 Kudos
Swilks
Level 5

Thanks that helped solve my issue.
0 Kudos
amitha
Level 3

HI,
I have a similar issue .We had a 32 bit dll till last month and we supported only 32 bit OS.Now with Windows 7 coming with 64 bit,we have been asked to change the setup to accomodate both 64 bit and 32 bit.
I have the 64 bit dll ready.When i do a self register on this component,it sits under sw/WOW6432node/microsoft/offfice/excel/addins.I want it to come under the sw/microsoft/offfice/excel/addins .How can i do the same?
Saw ur post that u have achieved it in sngle installer.Please help.I have just few hrs to come up with solution.
Thanks
Amitha
0 Kudos
Swilks
Level 5

In Australia so just go to this post now given time zones..

Our application is only 32bit. I was wanting to read both sections of the registry in a system search hence our issues were a little different. Not sure I can shed any light on your issue.
0 Kudos