cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thunder
Level 5

32bit installer can't write files to 64bit "Program Files"

I want my 32bit installer running on both 32 and 64 Windows,
I create some conditions like "VersionNT" and "VersionNT64" to separate different platform,

on 32bit system my installer running well, but on 64 bit system, some files needs install to 64bit "Program Files" folder the others needs install to 32bit "Program Files (x86)" the issue is the installer always using "Program Files (x86)" as a default folder
64bit files can't install to "Program Files".

I have tried to mark files as "64-bit component" but this configuration needs change "Template Summary" to x64 structure.

Please tell me how to change default "Program Files (x86)" to "Program Files" on 64bit system.

Thanks,
Thunder
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
ChandanOmkar
Level 8

You can use the pre-defined constant "ProgramFiles64Folder" in your install script to copy your files in 64 bit program files folder.

If you are not using installscript project then go to
installation designer ->Application data-> Files and folders.
Here select the predefimed folder type "ProgramFiles64folder" and locate the files onto that.

Hope this will help you.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

thunder wrote:
I have tried to mark files as "64-bit component" but this configuration needs change "Template Summary" to x64 structure.
This is the "correct" approach; unfortunately it will prevent the package from installing on a 32-bit system. This is a limitation of Windows Installer, and you can find more information on it by searching for Heath Stewart's blog on multiple packages and multiple platforms.

If you're looking for a workaround to just put a couple files in place, you can try things like an InstallScript custom action that copies files, using DISABLE(WOW64FSREDIRECTION) - but don't forget to remove them on the way out! This approach is not officially recommended.
0 Kudos