cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbrown
Level 6

32 bit and 64 bit w/ 1 project misleading??

We have a product that I need to target a Windows 32 bit server as 32 bit.
And target a Windows 64 bit server as 64 bit. i.e. Program Files folder not Program Files (x86).
When I heard you could target 32 and 64 bit platforms with one project I thought, great! I will not have to maintain 2 separate projects. However I can't find a way to do this.
If I leave the Template Summary as Intel and create both 32 bit components and 64 bit components, then Create 2 features, one with Release Flags as 32 and the other as Release Flags 64. When I try to build the 64 bit release flags media I get "Intel64 or AMD64 must be specified int he template of the Summary Stream".
If I do that it will target only a 64 bit Operating System.

I can only conclude that this means you can create one project that targets ONLY 64 bit Servers, that will install either a 64 bit application or a 32 bit application on that(64 bit) server depending on the release flag used during media build time. I still must maintain another project to target the 32 bit only operating systems. Is that correct??
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

In the Releases view, you can have one product configuration that has a 64-bit Template Summary value, and another that has a 32-bit value. (The Template Summary property can be set in the General Information view. It can also be set for each product configuration in the Releases view. Any value set at the product configuration level overrides the value that is set in the General Information view.)
0 Kudos
sbrown
Level 6

Thank you. I need to look at the options more closely.

How about another question. I now have 1 project building both 32 and 64 as long as I do it manually. We use MSBuild to build my deployment.sln. I have modified the .isproj file in the past to build a different release. (Never 2 releases from the same project) So now I have a Default32 and a Default64 release in the same project. How do I modify the isproj file to build both?

Default64

Release
$(Configuration)

This entry only builds the default64 release.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I think that each invocation of the InstallShield task can build only one release, thus this isn’t possible. In general, I think you would want to use the Configuration Manager in Visual Studio to map configurations to releases, and for something like this, build the solution multiple times.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos