cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
solitaryReaper
Level 3

32 bit/ 64 bit bootstrapping

Hi all,
I have a basic msi project which has a hybrid setup. It generates two seperate setup.exe depending on the release flags (32bit/64bit).
I need to bootstrap these two in such a way that depending on the users system 32/64 launch the corresponding setup.exe.
Does InstallShield have any functionality to help me achieve this.
Would really appreciate if anybody could point me to a link, tutorial which has some details about this.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
solitaryReaper
Level 3

Anybody there?:(
0 Kudos
gbaltazar
Level 6

You can use an installscript project that detects the cpu-type of the target system and launches the appropriate setup.exe
0 Kudos
solitaryReaper
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.
Please could you provide some more details. Like which function (LaunchAppAndWait?) to use and at what point should the code be doing this.
0 Kudos
Japster24
Level 6

Not sure if this helps, but here's what I do in my installscript:

//check if the system is 64bit..if so then continue
if SYSINFO.bIsWow64 != 0 then

//disable 64bit redirection
Disable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION );

//do whatever you need to with redirection turned off here..for instance copy
dllPath = WINSYSDIR64 ^ "my64.dll";
LongPathToQuote(dllPath,TRUE);

dllPath2 = szDLLFileLocation + "\\my64.dll";
LongPathToQuote(dllPath2,TRUE);

XCopyFile(dllPath2, WINSYSDIR64 , COMP_UPDATE_VERSION | SHAREDFILE);
DeleteFile(WINSYSDIR ^ "my64.dll");
appPathReg = WINSYSDIR64^"Regsvr32.exe";
LaunchAppAndWait(appPath," /s " + dllPath, WAIT);

//Enable redirection back
Enable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION );
endif;
0 Kudos
solitaryReaper
Level 3

Thanks for your replies. I was able to launch the corresponding setup.exe depending upon the user system.
But i still have a problem. Now as the exe's are InstallscriptMSI projects and i am launching them through another InstallScript project I have two sets of dialogs, One for the InstallScript project and the other when it launches the setup_32.exe or setup_64.exe.
Is it somehow possible to hide/suppress(silent) the dialogs for Installscript project but display the dialogs for the MSI project which it launches.

Sorry to be asking so many questions but I am really lost trying to figure this out :confused:
0 Kudos