cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marker
Level 2

32/64 bit conditional installation

InstallShield Express 2010 already lets me set up requirments/conditions to that I can conditionally install different versions of software based on the operating system (Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7). How do further refine requirements/conditions that will install different versions based on XP-32bit, XP-64bit, Vista-32bit, Vista-64bit, etc.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

That capability exists only in the Premier and Professional editions of InstallShield. The help has some more info on a few of the things that are available in these editions, but not the Express edition:
Upgrading to the Premier or Professional Editions of InstallShield
0 Kudos
lsramos
Level 3

We needed a Custom Action that is conditional with OS. One way to distinguish 64-bit systems is to look at the name of the Program Files folder. On a 64-bit system, the 32-bit apps are stored instead in "Program Files (x86)". I created a condition that checks for the existence of this folder in the [WindowsVolume] folder. If Not Found, then its not a 64-bit system, and the Custom Action can proceed.

This approach may not be robust to future changes (please comment if there any gotchas), but with ISExpress, its all I could find to do.

Scott
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I'm not sure whether that location is tied to the WindowsVolume, or if the folder can exist on a different drive. In any case, it might be easier to use a condition check in the action itself.
0 Kudos
lsramos
Level 3

It is likely possible that Program Files can exist on other than the root drive where Windows is installed. However, for the vast majority of users, they will be on the same drive. Maybe this solution will help them.
0 Kudos