cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david_kiellar
Level 3

2 Questions for IS LE and VS 2010

1:
I require that Adobe reader be on the target machine when installing, but I DO NOT care if it is version 9 or 10. How do I set it up to say install if any version >= 9 is installed?

2:
I am using InstallShield LE to create my install files. One of the projects in the solution is system.windows.forms.calendar or whatever. So in ISLE I put the output to the GAC. That works just fine, but there are references that I include in my project such as microsoft.visualbasic.powerpacks.vs and a couple of others. How do I add those to the install. I have it on my computer, but a guy that is helping me test it doesnt have the powerpacks dll. So the install fails. I need to be able to install the dll to the GAC like I do the other one.

How do I go about doing this?

Please help. I have search extensively for 2 days for an answer with no luck.

Thanks you
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Find the respective answers below:

1:
Please follow the below steps to achieve the required behavior:
>Open the ISLE project
>Expand Define Setup Requirements and actions section
>Double click on Requirements view>in the top left corner select “Adobe Reader 9.0 is installed” under “System software requirements section”
>If the condition is not met “Adobe reader 9 needs to be installed for this installation to continue” message will be displayed
>You can also modify the message displayed by clicking on “edit the message’ in middle pane.
>This will ensure setup continues if adobe reader 9.0 installed on the targetsytem.

2:
Please follow the below steps to achieve the required behaviour:
>Open the ISLE project
>Expand Specify application data>double click on files view
>Right click on "my product name"/your product folder under Destination computer’s folders.
>Select "System folder" under "Show predefined folder" menu
>Now add the required dll to system folder by browsing the location.
>Right click on the added dll>Properties>COM &.Net Settings> select “Self-Registration” under Registration type section
>Click on ok
>build the project

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
david_kiellar
Level 3

1:
That is what I had. But when I try to install my program on a computer that has Adobe Reader X, i get the message that says reader 9 needs to be installed.
0 Kudos
david_kiellar
Level 3

Any help with my last post, please help.
Dave
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

It seems to be an expected behavior, if you select both the Adobe readers (version 9 and version x) in the software requirements section, installer checks for both the versions on target machine and displays the message for the missing version accordingly.As ISLE is very limited, it is not possible to specify a condition to skip the message if either of the version is installed on the target machine .

However, you may try to identify the Adobe reader version with the help of respective registry keys using a custom action and try to display the message to the users accordingly.

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos