cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

-1605 error in upgraded InstallScript MSI project

I have an InstallScript MSI project that was working just fine in InstallShield 8 and I have been trying to upgrade it within InstallShield 2008 Premier with little success. I keep getting a -1605 "This action is valid only for products currently installed" error.

I think part of the problem may be that this project has no real feature to it. The primary work is all done through the InstallScript setup.rul which calls an executable to insert/update some data files. I thought the problem was due to the fact that there was an OnMoving, OnMoved and OnInstallFilesActionAfter functions in the InstallScript, but even after following some of the help content for upgrading projects and renaming those functions and adding them as custom functions, I still get the error.

All the feature has is a 0 byte file basically as a place marker. Please don't ask me why the project was written this way because someone wrote this years before I was in the group. :confused:

Any suggestions on how I can determine what is causing the -1605 error would be greatly appreciated since it seems to be happening duing some InstallShield process. I would even appreciate suggestions on how to create a better project for this type of work.

Thanks in advance! 😄
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Is your upgrade a minor upgrade or a major upgrade? We try to discourage minor upgrades built with different versions of InstallShield, and this is especially true across the 11.5 to 12.0 version change (which your 8 to 2008 jump includes). There was a major change to the engine strategy for InstallScript MSI (see the stickies for the IS12 and later forums for migration details).

If you haven't already done so, try taking a verbose log of the failing upgrade; if nothing else it should help narrow down when the 1605 error occurs, and that may help indicate what is causing it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Actually, this installation would probably be considered neither. It is just the data for our application and we reinstall the files every time the user upgrades the application to the newest version. The version for this installation is always 1.00.0000.

I took your advice and got a verbose log from the installation, but I honestly can't tell where it is failing at. I have attached the log file here and maybe some one can interpret it for me. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but I have very little experience with InstallShield.
0 Kudos