cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b_norton
Level 3

unable to extract bin files

I am attempting to preserve the resource forks for mac applications. I have zipped my mac files and added the extract archive action. The files are extracted but they lose their resource fork. So I tried a bin file. Using the extract archive action again, it does nothing on intall. In the install log I get then note "WARNING - Unknown Archive Type: writing original archive file to disk untouched" Are Bin files unsupported for IA 09? If so what else should I try. I'm new to IA and confused about my troubles with Mac file issue. Shouldn't it be easier?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
rajarajn
Level 5

Hi ,

After installing the Installer with that 'Expand Archive action' , You have to right click on the Archived file -> Click on 'Show Packaged Contents' -> Click on 'Contents' folder now you able to see the resource file.

Note :

For Mac , The files are always Bundled (.app) structure not the bin one.

If you have any more queries please feel free to reply on this 🙂
0 Kudos
b_norton
Level 3

Hi, thank you for your response. When I right click or command-click (on the mac) on the bin file I'm not seeing the option to 'Show Packaged Contents'. Even if I could, the end user of my installers are not going to want to do that. Another thing I have tried and maybe you can help me with is the Execute Command action. Using that action I added this command that I found in another post "ditto -xk Myfile.zip $USER_INSTALL_DIR$". At run time of the installer, the installer log says that it executes this command, but it doesn't. I'm not sure what it is I am doing wrong. Do I need to add more to the command line? Since this is a command you use in Terminal, do I need to tell the command to run the command in terminal? I'm not sure. I just can't believe how difficult it is to install a mac file.

Thanks again for you help.
0 Kudos
rajarajn
Level 5

You can open a bin file on "Mac" with the software "Stuffit Expander" which can download from http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/stuffit/trial.html
0 Kudos