cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

silent install logic

hello,

I have to fix an installer where silent install does not work properly.
The installer has several custom dialogs and those parameters are available in the response file. However it seems the parameters in the response file are not read (or overwritten with default value during silent installation).

So I wonder how the silent install logic works of reading the response file.

Are all the parameters in this response file read in one go during start of the silent installation and the custom dialogs are not processed
or
is the installation processing all dialogs silently and reading the parameters from response file for each dialog instead from user input?

I hope someone can answer me or direct me to some detailed documentation.

FYI: using IA 2008 Enterprise VP1

thanks

Martin.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
zunkination
Level 4

I'd like to bump this thread, I'm having the exact same problem. Wondering if a resolution was ever found.?

Is there anyway to put logic in the IA IDE to specifically check if the mode running is silent? Is there any benefit for doing it?

Reason I ask: Our installer has an installation key that enables certain installation Features. It also has a date embedded in the key that should prevent the installer from operating if the key is expired. None of this custom code is even processed during a silent install. I can paste an expired key into the response file and run it silently, and the installation works perfectly.

This seems like a huge fail in the silent install logic.

What is the point in creating an advanced installer with a lot of custom features if the silent install seems to by-pass all of that?

Is there a rule or something that I can force an action to run in silent mode - say to re-validate the installation key?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
zunkination
Level 4

Digging around in other threads, I found this:

http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=175472&highlight=silent

I'm a bit troubled by that last response -- so the assumption is that just because the value is in the response file, it is assumed that it is correct, and no validation is done on it? Didn't it occur to the designers/developers that silent installations may be run across dozens of systems that aren't guaranteed to be the same?

Again, major fail in the silent installation logic. I might just have to disable silent installations in our setups and face the wrath of middle management, this is unacceptable.
0 Kudos