cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krishnanrp
Level 3

localization: labels have different static text for different locales

Hi
As part of localization for our product, we have chosen 6 languages (Italian, Korean, Japanese, Brazilian, Spanish, Chinese) other than English.

When the iap_xml file gets saved, I could see that the custom_en (located in the locales folder) has the correct label value (defined in a properties file) as shown below

# Installer.ab506455bf59.installLabels.02=$NLS_INSTALL_STEPS_LICENSE$
Installer.ab506455bf59.installLabels.02=$NLS_INSTALL_STEPS_LICENSE$

whereas in custom_es for example, the same label has a different static text

#Installer.ab506455bf59.installLabels.02=$NLS_INSTALL_STEPS_LICENSE$
Installer.ab506455bf59.installLabels.02=Seleccione carpeta $SHORTCUT_NAME$

This results in a wrong label being displayed in other languages.

I would like to know as to why does InstallAnywhere generate a wrong static text as in this case? Is this a known problem?

To correct this, as part of localization, I remove the static text and allow it to take the default value as follows

#Installer.ab506455bf59.installLabels.02=$NLS_INSTALL_STEPS_LICENSE$
Installer.ab506455bf59.installLabels.02=

And the correct message label is displayed. Is this the way to correct the problem? Would InstallAnywhere generate the correct labels for other languages?

Would we loose the changes made, if we save the iap_xml file again (resulting in either generating the resource files or updating the resource files)?

The custom resource files are not part of our source control yet (not part of ClearCase) till now. By the localization, I would need to add these resource files into our source control, so that the build can pick up the changes. Would InstallAnywhere re-generate or just update the resource files if a new label is added to the properties file.

Thanks
R P Krishnan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
mkapasi
Level 4

Hi,
Did you ever get an answer to your question? I am facing the same issue where my custom _ files aregenerated with labels but no values and i want my Globalization team to fill in the translations. I do still want to use the strings that are already translated by IA and only translate the new strings i put in.
Any help is appreciated!
-Mehjabin
0 Kudos
krishnanrp
Level 3

Hi
Yes I got a response that if you add a new label (instead of renaming an existing label), the problem could be resolved.

We seem to have renamed the labels which was causing this error. And because the custom_xx files had the translations for the previous label text, it was getting the incorrect translation.

So just create a new label, instead of renaming an existing label.

With Regards
R P Krishnan
0 Kudos