cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdetweil
Level 3

list files in install packages (bin/exe)

one of our product teams uses InstallAnywhere to package their product for install. separately, I need to get a list of all the files (names, dates,times, sizes) in the installed product for customer inventory checking purposes, without installing the product.

are there any tools I can use to dump the list of files in the bin/exe files?
(in a perl batch script, no java available). (like unzip -l)

thanks

sam
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

There is a Resource1.zip file in the Installer, but it is packaged according to the source folders, not the destination folders (so you can have for instance devfolder/filname1.someextension that during install will be installed in userinstallfolder/somecompletelydifferentname.someotherextension). Not to mention jars inside this .zip (for speedfolders) or modifying action for installed files etc. Hopefully, the team creating the installer has foreseen the need for automatic unattended deployment and has implemented the silent installation mode. Thus, via a properties file you can easily install the product (even in a repetitive automatic mode if you wish, and then build the list of the files).
0 Kudos
sdetweil
Level 3

sorry.. don't understand a word you said..

my product team has given me 'foobar.bin' (for example) that is the package to be used to install their product on linux. (with the installanywhere installer).

without installing the product, and preferable without actually unpacking the bin file, I would like to find out what product files are inside, by name, size, date & time.

the product team cannot tell me what files are inside the bundles.

sam
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

It is not possible to list the files within the install.bin without actually installing it. It's not a mere archive file, it's a little more complicated than that.

What I tried to explain, and I'm trying again, is the following: even if you were able to list the contents of the install.bin, you could find archives within, or files that change name during installation. Also, I suggested you ask the people who provided you the install.bin if silent / unattended installation was supported, because this was a very easy way to install and thus get the install.bin contents.
0 Kudos
sdetweil
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
It is not possible to list the files within the install.bin without actually installing it. It's not a mere archive file, it's a little more complicated than that.

What I tried to explain, and I'm trying again, is the following: even if you were able to list the contents of the install.bin, you could find archives within, or files that change name during installation. Also, I suggested you ask the people who provided you the install.bin if silent / unattended installation was supported, because this was a very easy way to install and thus get the install.bin contents.

bummer.. thanks.. unfortunately I cannot silent install, the platform my application is running on doesn't match the install platform, and it would contaminate the system, and probably fail due to missing prerequisites.
I just need a list of the files with dates, & sizes..

Sam
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

IMHO it's up to the team who produces the installer to give that to you: I mean, it's obvious, if they support platform X, they must have it in order to install and test it. Why's so complicated to get a recursive listing of installed files... beats me...
0 Kudos