cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nosrednayduj
Level 7

linux splash screen "always on top"

We're having a problem where the splash screen is always on top of any other windows with linux. Including the dialog when the top level rule is violated! So it appears hung and is quite difficult to dig out the actual dialog. Sometimes it pops up with its title bar above the splash screen so you can grab it and drag it out from under but not always.

With a small test program this always happens with the main rule. But in our much larger real installer, in addition to the rule, we have some separate dialogs we may pop up (we have several reasons why you wouldn't be able to install, but we want to specify WHICH of the items was violated and pop up a special message, so we have several dialogs in a row each with a different rule). These dialogs ALSO appear behind the splash screen, even though you'd think the initialization would have happened already by the time it's executing pre-install actions.

Only on linux -- and I think because the splash screen is "always on top". You can't ever get any windows behind it. It happens both with X-windows tunning on a remote machine and with the Linux Console. I can't see any useful things in the Installer UI panel to control this.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

What's the Linux distribution involved? What the Java version used? What's the Window Manager? Does this happen with more than one Linux distribution and / or more than one Window Manager?
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Linux Redhat 5.2. Happens with both Cygwin/X and the native Gnome or whatever it is. I'm using "native Windows" for the X window manager. Happened on Solaris with Cygwin/X (don't have access to console for the solaris machine).
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

So you're actually connecting remotely to the Unix machines, then you export the window to the Cygwin X Server... does this happen on the local X Server, too?
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

When I launch on the console, I'm using the native Gnome window manager (version 2.16.0). Now, my linux "machine" is actually a Virtual Machine run by VMWare, but so far the Windows virtual machines under the same vmware with "open console" mode have behaved identically to physical machines, and so I would think the linux vms would also. I don't have access to any physical linux machines.

This problem showed up on a customer site as well. I do not know their particulars with regard to console access, VMs, etc. Just that they're also running redhat 5.2.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

What the Java version used?
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Bundled VM from IA "Sun JRE 1.6.0_00 Linux INTEL"
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

I think I've found a workaround. I still can't use the main Rule on the project panel, but if I do a Custom Code Action with "Show Please Wait Dialog" checked before I pop up any dialogs, then the splash screen goes away and the dialog comes to the front. The splash screen being always on top is still ugly, but at least it is temporary and does not make the installer appear hung as the dialog-behind does.
0 Kudos