Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_decosta
Level 9

is my approach when it comes to java is right

hi,
basically what i am doing is like.
I bundle up java(jdk) along with my installer (jdk 1.5 ) and i install it on the end users machine if $prop.java.version$ DOES NOT EQUAL 1.5
Now my question is like if the end users machine does not have java on it will my installer run as it has jdk bundled with it which it may use.
But i have bundled jdk 1.5 in the NOVM installer as VM installer comes with 1.6
I install jdk and set JAVA_HOME to $USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$jdk
and append jdk/bin to $PATH$ environment variable

Will installation of jdk through this method be hit in some of the cases and if so when
Am i wrong in my approach.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
tfromm1
Level 7

Won't it be easier to install always the bundled jdk inside the installation folder of your software? In this case you are sure, that always is a jdk available in this version you need.

Then you have only to modify your application start/stop scripts to use the shipped jdk (which is also used by IA uninstaller).
0 Kudos
tfromm1
Level 7

Won't it be easier to install always the bundled jdk inside the installation folder of your software? In this case you are sure, that always is a jdk available in this version you need.

Then you have only to modify your application start/stop scripts to use the shipped jdk (which is also used by IA uninstaller).

Updating the PATH of the user I think is not a good idea. Better update the scripts of your application to avoid conflicts with other installed software at end user system, that uses Java.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

I agree with tfromm1 that this setup would be easier to maintain.
0 Kudos
james_decosta
Level 9

hi,
i have a very silly doubt like if java is not there on a machine will my installer work as i have java bundled in the installer in the NOVM installer as the bundled VM COMES up with java 1.6 and my application works only when jdk 1.5.0_08 is there on the end users machine hence i found this sort of solution.
Regards,
james.
0 Kudos