cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_decosta
Level 9

hi i want to point to some folder for picking the files which i need to add instead o

Hi,
i am creating the installer but i need a favour as i want to point to some folder for the files which i want to add instead of adding them up in the installer itself.
Can someone provide some suggestion on this.
Right now i am bundling the files in the installer due to which i have to create the installer again and again whenever i need to add the modified files.
Instead of it i want to point to some folder from where the installer needs to add the files so that when i keep the newly modified files in that folder the installer should be able to pick up the files and rebuild the installer .Is this possible????????
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

Sure, simply copy the files during the install part.

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
james_decosta
Level 9

hi,
instead of adding the folders in the install task by using "add files" option, is this possible to automate the installer so that it should point to some folder and it needs to build the installer at particular schedules so that whenever there is some modification as is actually the case in morning and evening my team members will put the modified files in the pointed folder and installer rebuilds it using the new files in the folder.
Is this possible to automate the build of installer at particular intervals.
And instead of bundling the files in the install task the installer exe should pick up the files from some specified locations.
0 Kudos
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

Heya,

If the file names don't change and the number of files doesn't change you can add them. If either condition is not fulfilled you can use speedfolders.

To automate the build process you can use build.exe, similar files exist on other OSes.

And again: If you do not want to bundle the files at all, you need to copy the files during the installation task.

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
james_decosta
Level 9

hi,
if i use speed folder i have problem in sharing the features and components as i am making two install sets.
And can you tell how can i use the build.exe for automating the process.
can i run build.exe from command line and how can i make the installer to build the installers again and again at intervals using some scheduling mechanism
0 Kudos
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

james decosta wrote:
if i use speed folder i have problem in sharing the features and components as i am making two install sets.

You can use 2 speedfolders 😉

james decosta wrote:
And can you tell how can i use the build.exe for automating the process.

build.exe -?

james decosta wrote:
can i run build.exe from command line and how can i make the installer to build the installers again and again at intervals using some scheduling mechanism

Use the Windows Scheduler...

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
james_decosta
Level 9

hi ,
can i call the build.exe from the command line in this manner

build.exe
and for autmatically scheduling it , i need to use the windows schedule for calling this batch file isnt it???
where is windows scheduler located.
0 Kudos
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

james decosta wrote:
build.exe

If build.exe is in your path, then yes. Else use the absolute path to build.exe

james decosta wrote:
where is windows scheduler located.

Depends on the Windows version. In Windows XP: Start -> Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks.

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
james_decosta
Level 9

hi yves,
i opened the command prompt of my machine and wrote the following commmand:
build.exe C:\Sameplace\MY_product.iap_xml

and do you know what i got
build.exe is not recognised as an internal or an external command.

Please can you tell me where i am going wrong.
And when this command works properly what shall i add to the windows scheduler.
0 Kudos
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

Use the absolute path to build.exe as i suggested.

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos