cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zmfcat1
Level 4

embed one installer within another

Hi
I have a case where I have multiple applications which I want to wrap within a setup.exe. So i have application "A" whose setup file is setupA.exe,an application "B" whose setup file is setupB.exe and an application "C" whose setup file is setupC.bin. I need to create one setup.exe which wraps setupA.exe & setupB.exe. When setup.exe is run, the user should be given an option to install application "A" or application "B" and based on the choice invoke the appropriate setup file for the application. I believe I have seen Install shield to have this option, but am not able to find it now. Can someone let me know how to implement this in IA? Thx.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
zunkination
Level 4

Well you can have a simple panel (Get Use Input - Simple) that prompts the user which install they want. The variable for that panel will be something like $USER_INPUT_RESULTS$. To tell which one was selected, you would check $USER_INPUT_RESULTS_1$ or $USER_INPUT_RESULTS_2$. I can't remember off-hand what the value is when it's selected (TRUE maybe?), but only one of those variables will be set if you use radio controls.

Then you can add both of your sub-installers to the 'Install' phase, but install them into the temp folders ($INSTALLER_TEMP_DIR$), then you can add the 'Execute Target File' action to launch the sub-install you need. Just a simple rules check on the $USER_INPUT_RESULTS_X$ for each sub-installer.

The 'Execute Target File' action also lets your base installer wait until the sub-installer is complete.

Installing the sub-installs to the TEMP folder is a good idea, because after your install is complete, it will automatically get cleaned up.

This is what I did in my companies installer to launch the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable during the 'Install' phase. Works perfect.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
zmfcat1
Level 4

Thanks for your reply. I have an additional question:-

[PHP]Then you can add both of your sub-installers to the 'Install' phase, but install them into the temp folders ($INSTALLER_TEMP_DIR$), then you can add the 'Execute Target File' action to launch the sub-install you need. Just a simple rules check on the $USER_INPUT_RESULTS_X$ for each sub-installer.

The 'Execute Target File' action also lets your base installer wait until the sub-installer is complete.

Installing the sub-installs to the TEMP folder is a good idea, because after your install is complete, it will automatically get cleaned up.[/PHP]

Lets say, I do not want to bundle the sub-installs in the main install file, but have it in the same directory as the the main setup file. Something like having a directory called ABC and under this directory having folders (with the sub-installs) APPA\setupA.exe, APPB\setupB.exe. In addition to this I have the main install file under the ABC directory. When I run the main install file I want to invoke either setupA.exe or setupB.exe based on the user choice. Thanks.
0 Kudos