cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
voyager1983
Level 4

complex execute command action failed

Hi,

I was intend to silent install VC8 redistribution -- vcredist_x86.exe.
The exe file actually is a wrapper of msi. the structure is as follows:

vcredist_x86
-----|--VCREDI~3.EXE
-------------|--vcredist.msi

The following command can assure me to install successfully:
vcredist_x86.exe /q:a /c:"VCREDI~3.EXE /q:a /c:""msiexec /i vcredist.msi /qn"" "

But when I use execute command action in IA, the installation has no effect, the command I use is as follows:
"$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$\$vcredist_x86.exe" /q:a /c:"VCREDI~3.EXE /q:a /c:""msiexec /i vcredist.msi /qn"" "

I suspect maybe some charater above are recognized as other means. I am new to the IA, could any one help me out?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Hello there! I'm a little puzzled about (and also pretty much enclined to think that the culprit here is) the quoting; I mean even the original quoting is a little peculiar:

vcredist_x86.exe /q:a /c:"VCREDI~3.EXE /q:a /c:""msiexec /i vcredist.msi /qn"" "

You attempted "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$\$vcredist_x86.exe" /q:a /c:"VCREDI~3.EXE /q:a /c:""msiexec /i vcredist.msi /qn"" "

I would have a couple of questions: even if it's on Windows, and even I think this is not the issue, could you try using $/$ instead of $\$ ? (I imagined you need to quote the path to vcredist because you must be installing in a path containing spaces (in the Program Files, am I correct?) Also, the final question would be: if you actually need the .msi file inside this .exe, why don't you use it directly? In this case your command would be simpler (I guess only "msiexec /i vcredist.msi /qn")
0 Kudos
jhllwy
Level 4

I was able to get the exact same string working.. but I used Execute Batch/Script... not Execute Command.
0 Kudos