cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tfromm1
Level 7

bundled JDK installation issue under linux

I've got 2 problems with my bundled JDK under linux (maybe also under other unices, but ATM I've just a setup for linux and windows.

1) Inside the install dir of the product is a folder during installation created named alike "ia_jre_extraction_dir_2922.tmp" containing the extracted bundled jdk. Why this folder is not removed after installation is finished and the regular bundled JDK (which should always be installed in my configuration) is installed?

2) I miss the jre-Directory inside my installed bundled JDK. 😕
The directory structure of the vm.tar.Z is a standard jdk, downloaded from sun, bundled as vm.tar.Z. It is jdk 1.6.0_03.
Why the jre-subdirectory don't get extracted during the installation of the bundled jvm?

I can provide the used LinuxJDK6.vm as download, if somebody wants to try it with his installer.

Update:
Found the problem.
I packed the JDK unter vm.tar.Z, but the whole JDK have to be placed under vm.tar.Z/jre
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
tfromm1
Level 7

My Solaris bundled JDK fails... I think this is in general a design error at IA.

With ISMP it was quiete comfortable to build an bundled jvm. Simply create an (info)zip archive and put the unzipsfx (one for each platform) as prefix. Finally you've got an self-extracting zip.

IA uses tar an compress for the bundled jvm. But there exists lots tar and compress version out there...

FYI: Using GNU tar(e.g. under linux), the correct way to create Solaris-tar compatible arschives is:

tar --format=v7 -cf ...

Ignore possible warnings.
0 Kudos
debnull
Level 4

I also hit the wall where compress was concerned (versions, lack of general support for it on many of my *nix boxes) and learned from InstallAnywhere support that you can actually use gzip and create a tar.gz as long as you rename it to vm.tar.Z. I am being a little melodramatic I admit but this really saved me from pulling all of my hair out.

Hope it works for you too!
Deb
0 Kudos
debnull
Level 4

I have to read your updates better! You got it working on Linux so compress is not your issue... I haven't had to create a vm for Solaris -- only Linux so disregard my previous reply.

Thanks,
Deb
0 Kudos
tfromm1
Level 7

Oho!

Thats really interesting fact. I'll try this on monday.
using gz will also reduce the bundled VM size :-).

Yes, I found an working compress inside an rpm... I can tell the name on monday. But... main problem was the gnu-tar options.
On monday I'll also try if the current settings also working for AIX and HP-UX...
0 Kudos
debnull
Level 4

I will be interested to hear how it goes -- and also to know the name of the rpm that installs a working compress -- that was driving me crazy once upon a time.

Thanks!
Deb
0 Kudos