cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peczes
Level 4

VM Pack Location in Ant Build

I'm trying to use the Ant task to build my installers from a command line.

I'm specifying the WindowsVMPackLocation, LinuxVMPackLocation and AIXVMPackLocation in the task and giving the path to the VM packs.

However, when I run the command line build, I get the error:
An I/O exception has occured: java.io.IOException: Path to executable in VM Pack is missing.

Is this a bug with Install Anywhere or am I doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure the vm packs are built correctly because when I put them in the IA_HOME/resources/installer_vms directory (and don't use the vars in the ant task), the build completes successfully, and the installers execute properly.

I need to be able to specify a location for my VM packs because I need to ship specific versions, and I won't have write access to the IA_HOME directory on our production build system.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

You don't need write access, but only read access in order to be able to build with the VM packs in the default location (IA install dir/resources/installer_vms)
0 Kudos
peczes
Level 4

But, in a production environment, you could have multiple teams/products using the same IA install.

If each teams needs to bundle specific JREs, then they would need to get those into the install directory (which, in most Enterprise environments, means getting the build team to do it).

If the ant task provides a property for the location of the VM pack, why not just honor it?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Don't ask me, ask the Acresso Software support... maybe it's a bug...
On the other hand, you may all have the VM packs in the same place as a workaround...
And finally, on a side note, AFAIK the IA license is a per-developper base, so if more than one person is using the product, this might even be a license violation (unless of course, you're covered by a license for all the persons using the product AND each person uses it with their own account (the license information is really saved per user's account, at least on Windows (I suppose it's the same on Unices)...
0 Kudos
peczes
Level 4

Thanks, I have our company Acresso rep contacting them about it.

I think we're ok on the licensing issue because all of our builds run under the same user id.
0 Kudos