cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Using relative pathnames to select files

I'm just starting up with InstallAnywhere, coming from InstallShield MultiPlatform (5.0, can you believe it?)

My very first thing in my sample project was to select my splash screen. Which of course it did with c:\mytoplevel\mysub\whatever.gif. But I want to have it with either relative "..\..\.....mysub\whatever.gif" or, with an environment variable, %MYTOPLEVEL%\mysub\whatever.gif. Because we define %MYTOPLEVEL% (ok, it's called something else) when we create a build, as the builds may happen on different CVS branches checked out onto different top levels, but we don't want to CHANGE THE INSTALLER for each branch!

I'm sure this must be possible, but I can't think of what to search for in the documentation. I tried "environment variable" but that only showed me how to get at it during runtime on the end user's computer.

In ISMP, we set up alias.properties and selected it via $A(MYTOPLEVEL). Then it just worked, wherever we'd checked out the modules.

Similarly I'm concerned about the Add Files button -- I want to enter RELATIVE paths (or environment variable qualified paths), and have them remembered as relative, so that the builds can proceed from separate top levels. I typed some ..'s into the dialog, but of course it resolved them right away to an absolute pathname.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I think "source path" is the equivalent term you're looking for; please see for example the IA help topic "Adding and Removing Source Paths".
0 Kudos