cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scorp84
Level 3

Using JVM from file system?

Hello,

I have a main setup that has a bundled JVM. Now I've developed a separate Patch Installer that doesn't have a bundled JVM. Now I want to use the previously installed JVM from the main application, which is located in $USER_INSTALL_DIR$\system\jre (to reduce the installer size). That jre has no entries in the Windows registry. How can I do that? At the moment, when I launch my patch installer, without a installed jre, the installer aborts with a message, that no jvm could be found. I hope you can help me, because Its' very critical for me.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

If the main installer's JVM was not declared a public one (i.e. if not only the installed application was to use it) (yourself you said that there is no record of it in the registry) I'm afraid that there isn't much you can do: you need to bundle a JVM in order to have it work (you may want to use an older JVM like 1.4 and have it only at the install time (but then your uninstaller won't work).
0 Kudos
Scorp84
Level 3

That means, that InstallAnywhere can only use JREs, that were installed with the sun-java installer for windows (to set entries into windows registry)?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

It can also use already installed JVMs, but only if they had been declared as shared components... the only drawback to this approach being, as I've already said it, if you uninstall the application that installed the shared JVM, all installers that relied on it afterwads created uninstallers that won't work anymore...
0 Kudos
Scorp84
Level 3

Thanks for your help. For now I used the LAX_VM option. I've build a SFX with 7zip, that launches my setup, using the LAX_VM argument.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

In case you didn't know, in the IA Advanced Designer, in the Build/Distribution tab you have the option to build Web Installers, which produce self-extracting setups (thus eliminating the need to rebuild a SFX from a CD-ROM installer).
0 Kudos