cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ettieneb
Level 4

User Magic folder

Hi

I currently use all the $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_n$ and would like to add more, is there anything specific i need to do so i can add a new folder to a new destination: $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_11$ for instance, currently the drop down for where to add the new folder limits me to $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_10$.

Thanks
Ettiene
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Unfortunately, by design, user magic folders are limited to 10 (the original IA developpers could not come with any scenario for which someone would need more than 10 magic folders).
0 Kudos
matchboxtom
Level 2

I asked the same question to flexera. Here is the answer. A workaround but it will work.

Install Anywhere doesn't have $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER$ more than 10 so you can't add more than 10 install folders in your project but below are the steps for getting the resolution for this issue. I have provided this solution to many users and it has worked for them, so I hope it would also resolve your concern.

Under Pre-Install Phase

1. Add multiple choose Folder panel as many as you want for the user to prompt for the path and store them in any user defined variables. It can be 10+ in your case.
2. Assign few of these user defined variables to IA User_Magic_Folder variables using “Set InstallAnywhere Variable - multiple variables” panel.

Under Install Phase:

3. Add 10 Install Speed Folder panel to deploy the relevant files into the system.
4. Assign those 10 different Magic Folder variable values to these Speed Folders. It will install the files of first 10 folders to your system during installation. These User_Magic_Folder variables will be free after this installation.
5. After the above steps add Set InstallAnywhere Variable - multiple variables panel and assign next set of 10 values to User_Magic_Folder variables.
6. Repeat the above three steps (3, 4 & 5) to create as many no of folders you want for your installer.
0 Kudos