cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janhar
Level 3

Unix Command Line Installer - JVM path?

Greetings
I thought the JVM search path settings in the install config were used as search path to run installer, but perhaps I'm not reading the documentation correctly.

"The search list is used by the installer when determining whether a compatible VM is found on the system. It is NOT used by LaunchAnywhere when looking for a VM to run the application"

So I'm not sure if "the application" is a Launch Anywhere created by me, or if "the application" is the installer application.

So even if I have, for example /usr/java/6/jre/bin/java in the search path under "search panel settings", when you first invoke install.bin, unless this is in the user's $PATH, the installer will not load.

Is there a way to programmatically look in the standard locations for the JVM? Do I need to set LAX_VM in the installer?

Thanks!
Jan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RamyaVenkatesh
Level 7

Hi,

The Search path should be just /usr/java/6/jre/bin or /usr/java/6/jre or /usr/java/6 since(and if) the java executable patterns are java, bin/java and jre/bin/java.

Try this and let us know if it works

Thanks.
0 Kudos
janhar
Level 3

Thanks! I figured out that I needed to change the installer settings to allow user to select the JVM.

Interesting discovery, though - we found that the installer hangs with Java SE 5, and IA Requirements state Java6+, however it defaults to allow Java5 in the search path 🙂

RamyaVenkatesh wrote:
Hi,

The Search path should be just /usr/java/6/jre/bin or /usr/java/6/jre or /usr/java/6 since(and if) the java executable patterns are java, bin/java and jre/bin/java.

Try this and let us know if it works

Thanks.
0 Kudos