cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vermind
Level 3

Unable to install an Adobe AIR application with -location option usng InstallAnywhere

I am facing a strange problem.

I am supposed to bundle "sample.air" with my installer. To facilitate this, I am also bundling Adobe AIR runtime files that I have picked up from Adobe website. (Note: I have picked up the redistributable version).
During the post-installation stage, I have added a "execute a command" which is as follows:
"$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$AIR_Win_installer_files$/$Adobe AIR Installer.exe" -silent "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Sample.air"

This works and my Sample.air is installed and a new folder is created "C:\Program Files\Sample".

Now, I wish to provide a different location for Sample.air to install and I have modified the command as follows:
"$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$AIR_Win_installer_files$/$Adobe AIR Installer.exe" -silent -location "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Sample" "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Sample.air"

This command fails. And I find that the log file was not generated as well.
I don't think it is because of the Adobe AIR Installer.exe file because it worked well when I hadn't specified -location option. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Any help in this will be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

"$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$AIR_Win_installer_files$/$Adobe AIR Installer.exe" -silent -location "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Sample" "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Sample.air"

Does the above work when executed by hand (i.e. in command line) (obviously, without the IA variables).
0 Kudos
vermind
Level 3

No, it doesn't work in command prompt. I checked all options but it isn't working. I checked using a batch script, but that failed too. 😞
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well, in this case it looks like it's not an IA issue, but a command line issue (i.e. you need to have your command working BEFORE putting it into IA).
0 Kudos
vermind
Level 3

I understand your point. Will try that out.
But if that is the inherent issue, it should not have worked for me in the first case too when I had just used -silent option. Need to understand that as well.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

From my experience, this might also be a double quote problem (you initially separated the line in two parts, each one double quoted; maybe it works with the whole line (not separated) and double quoted; or maybe there's an order of parameters issue (i.e. the parameters must be given in a certain order, and it won't work if the order is not correct).
0 Kudos
rox163
Level 5

vermind wrote:
I am facing a strange problem.

I am supposed to bundle "sample.air" with my installer. To facilitate this, I am also bundling Adobe AIR runtime files that I have picked up from Adobe website. (Note: I have picked up the redistributable version).
During the post-installation stage, I have added a "execute a command" which is as follows:
"$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$AIR_Win_installer_files$/$Adobe AIR Installer.exe" -silent "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Sample.air"

This works and my Sample.air is installed and a new folder is created "C:\Program Files\Sample".

Now, I wish to provide a different location for Sample.air to install and I have modified the command as follows:

This command fails. And I find that the log file was not generated as well.
I don't think it is because of the Adobe AIR Installer.exe file because it worked well when I hadn't specified -location option. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Any help in this will be greatly appreciated.

I have the same sort of setup, using Adobe AIR. Instead of Execute Command, [for the example] be sure to copy the Adobe Installer exe somewhere on the target machine. Also, the Sample.air file copied to $USER_INSTALL_DIR. Then use EXECUTE TARGET FILE Action, choose the adobe installer exe as your target and put the following in the Command Line text field -

$EXECUTE_FILE_TARGET$ -silent -location $USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Sample $USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Sample.air
0 Kudos