cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Japster24
Level 6

Set Evironment Variable in IS2011?

I see other versions of IA talking about a "Set Evironment Variable" action. I don't see that in IA2011.

Help!!! :confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Hi! Are you using the Enterprise or the Standard one?
0 Kudos
Japster24
Level 6

Standard. Don't tell me you can only set env variables in the Enterprise edition? (edit: well, tell me if it's the truth...it's just not what I want to hear)
0 Kudos
Japster24
Level 6

Yes, you do need to have Enterprise to access this action to set the env variable.

I wish InstallAnywhere had a location that clearly outlined what you get vs what you don't with IA versions. The "Editions" list on their site doesn't clearly explain this. I need a quick check list, not a verbose explanation of each feature.

-jp
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you visit the Features page http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installanywhere/features.htm and click All so you don't just see IA 2011 features, there's something closer to a checklist.

(I vaguely remember the IA docs having an "Install Actions" overview topic that described which actions work in which editions, but it might have been a dream.)

Robert
0 Kudos
Japster24
Level 6

Thanks Robert!

I'm sure I overlooked it in my frustration. Attempting to script around this with the Standard Edition now.
0 Kudos
Japster24
Level 6

In case anyone is curious, you can actually set the %PATH% variable, but it only shows up within the temp env var while the installer is running (not on the system level). This can be verified by setting the %PATH% variable in a custom script in your project and holding CTRL while double-clicking your installer file (debug mode) to see the variable get changed.

Here's the InstallShield support official answer I received:

The behavior that you described is expected behavior. A change to a system environment variable made by an Execute Script/Batch file Action only exists in the context of the process in which the Action is running. So you are correct that the Windows PATH Environment Variable would be left unchanged (after the Action completes executing) upon completion of the installation. In order to set the Windows PATH Environment Variable and have the change exist after the installation, you'd need to use the Set System Environment Variable Action, which is only available in the InstallAnywhere Enterprise Edition, not the Standard Edition. If you decide to purchase the upgrade, I'd be happy to put you in contact with your Sales Consultant. Let me know how you decide to proceed.
0 Kudos