cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWeinste
Level 2

SILENT install WINDOWS with [press enter to close this window]???

I am receiving this message at the end of SILENT installation

"[press enter to close this window]"

I have seen this a couple times now and this not appropriate for a SILENT installation.

Does anyone know when or why this happens.

My WINDOWS installer in SILENT mode opens another Console window. However it is only recently i have seen it ask the user to click enter at the end. No user interaction should take place in SILENT mode. I thought maybe was ctrl key was held during install, for debug, but could not reproduce.

Any help would be appreciated.

Console:

Installation Complete.
SHUTDOWN REQUESTED
(X) commiting registry

REGISTRY ALREADY STORED!

(X) shutting down service manager
(X) cleaning up temporary directories
cleanUp()
calling cleanUpWin32()

Exiting with exit code: 0
[press enter to close this window]
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Praveen_Durbha
Level 6

JWeinste wrote:
I am receiving this message at the end of SILENT installation

"[press enter to close this window]"

I have seen this a couple times now and this not appropriate for a SILENT installation.

Does anyone know when or why this happens.

My WINDOWS installer in SILENT mode opens another Console window. However it is only recently i have seen it ask the user to click enter at the end. No user interaction should take place in SILENT mode. I thought maybe was ctrl key was held during install, for debug, but could not reproduce.

Any help would be appreciated.

Console:

Installation Complete.
SHUTDOWN REQUESTED
(X) commiting registry

REGISTRY ALREADY STORED!

(X) shutting down service manager
(X) cleaning up temporary directories
cleanUp()
calling cleanUpWin32()

Exiting with exit code: 0
[press enter to close this window]

How are you launching the silent installer ? If you are launching it from Command Prompt try using the switch -i silent. Make sure you have the installer.properties file in the same location as the executable (if you are using a response file).
0 Kudos
JWeinste
Level 2

Thanks for your response, but not yet of help.

I am running the installer using the appropriate command line. I am not running in debug mode. I am directing stderr/out to "console" using the project properties.

I run this from ant.

cmd.exe /c Installer.exe -i silent -f test.properties

This has been working, without this glitch for a couple+ months now.

It happened to me once a couple days ago and then happened in our automated build system which a release engineer maintains. I haven't been able to reproduce since i saw it a couple days ago, but RE just complained as this issue basically halted the build at a preety inopportune time in our release cycle. As far as i am concerned it is a pretty severe issue. Hopefully there is an easy answer.
0 Kudos
Praveen_Durbha
Level 6

JWeinste wrote:
Thanks for your response, but not yet of help.

I am running the installer using the appropriate command line. I am not running in debug mode. I am directing stderr/out to "console" using the project properties.

I run this from ant.

cmd.exe /c Installer.exe -i silent -f test.properties

This has been working, without this glitch for a couple+ months now.

It happened to me once a couple days ago and then happened in our automated build system which a release engineer maintains. I haven't been able to reproduce since i saw it a couple days ago, but RE just complained as this issue basically halted the build at a preety inopportune time in our release cycle. As far as i am concerned it is a pretty severe issue. Hopefully there is an easy answer.

I haven't actually done silent installs on Windows, but I am actually doing one on Linux and it puts me back on the prompt after a silent install..so I am assuming it should work the same way on Windows too......

Did you try launching the installer from Windows Explorer ?
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

Have you added the first line in your properties file as:
INSTALLER_UI=silent

and then run:
Installer.exe -f test.properties
0 Kudos