cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sybinstall
Level 3

Plug-in: Dynamic variable creation

Hello everyone,

I just finished packaging my first plug-in. Took me 3 hours of ripping out my hair just to find out that my .properties file was called CustomCode.properties instead of the required customCode.properties. Just a tip for beginners out there. 😉

On to the actual question...
In the .properties file we can specify a number of IA internal variables with default values. What our plug-in does are things like searching for string in a file and replacing it with some other string, adding a line after, deleting lines between, etc. This was done to mimic InstallShield functionality.
My question is if there is a way to tell IA that there could be many variables for this plug-in (i.e. not a constant number of parameters)?

The current work around which we are using is simply having 10 parameters as placeholders in the .properties file. This seems to be enough for now, but clearly is not the optimal solution.

Thank you in advance.
Alex
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
jack_bauer
Level 3

I might not fully understand what you are asking, but when you use a plugin, the IA UI has an area for setting variables for the plugin. The plugin will start you off with a number of default variables (the 10 in your properties file), but you can add as many as you want after hitting the 'Edit Variables' button. The customCode.properties file is only used to set up a starting point. Your code would have to somehow know what these variables would be called, though.
0 Kudos
sybinstall
Level 3

Oh, thank you! That helps a lot!

I wanted to have unlimited number of variables in the plug-in, that's all.
0 Kudos