cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ettieneb
Level 4

Out of Memory condition

Hi

I am in the process of upgrading my InstallAnyhere version to 2008 vp1 Enterprise.
I have an existing project that builds fine with my 5.5 verions, when i take the same project and try build it with 2008 i get the following error:

Cleaning up...
Build failure: Installer Build has failed due to an Out of Memory condition.

null
Java heap space
Build failure.
Reason: Installer Build has failed due to an Out of Memory condition.

Suggestion/Details: Quit any open applications.Relaunch InstallAnywhere and rebuild your project.If symptoms persist, contact Macrovision Developer Technical Support.
Build process finished.
Build time breakdown:

Compile and copy: 13 s, 737 ms
Updating project pieces: 234 ms
Writing project to file: 12 s, 987 ms

===========================================================
Total build time: 28 s, 84 ms
Build failure.
Reason: Installer Build has failed due to an Out of Memory condition.

Suggestion/Details: Quit any open applications.Relaunch InstallAnywhere and rebuild your project.If symptoms persist, contact Macrovision Developer Technical Support.

I was wondering if anyone could assist me in increasing my Java VM heap.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(16) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

In the process of upgrading from one IA version to another, it was recommended to progressively update, by passing through intermediate versions (like 6 & 7) in order to gradually incorporate changes from one version to another. Your direct upgrade (from 5.5 to the latest version) might be a little to radical.
0 Kudos
ettieneb
Level 4

So it seems i dont have a upgrade path, i am unable to download previous versions to get my current installer upgraded progressively. How do i continue from here??

Is it not possible to set the heap size to be greater via the command line build, this seems to be a memory issue purely. Surly InstallAnywhere should have a Java heap setting in terms of -Xms=2048m when building the installer?

I also noted that before converting my installer to the latest version it was 12mb and after the conversion it is 18mb.

What would anyone suggest i do?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Have you tried to do what the message suggests you to do, i.e. "contact Macrovision Developer Technical Support"?
0 Kudos
ettieneb
Level 4

I thought they monitored these posts.

Thanks for your reply, i will contact them directly.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

There's someone, Robert Dickau, but I think he's a Technical Writer... and from time to time, the forum Administrators (but I guess they deal only with spam, stuff like that).
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

I'm facing the same issue on Windows2003 server 64bit machine.
I have upgraded from IA 7.1.3EE to IA 2008VP1.
Does one has got any solution? Is it a machine issue or IA issue?
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

This is the error.

XMLScriptReader: unable to parse the provided script file. File may have been i
nvalid...
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Unable to load the script.
Unable to load and to prepare the installer in GUI mode.
=======================================================

Installer User Interface Mode Not Supported

Unable to load and to prepare the installer in GUI mode.
0 Kudos
ettieneb
Level 4

Hi

I got a solution from Macrovision support and it fixed the issue. I believe this to be a bug as its not documented anywhere and my previous version was able to build.

"To increase the jvm memory you can try the following:

1.) Close the InstallAnywhere IDE.
2.) Open the file \InstallAnywhere.lax with a text editor.
3.) Search for the following properties:

lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.initial
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.max

4.) The value that these properties are set to need to be increased. These values are specified in bytes. You need to increase these to as large a value as is appropriate for the amount of physical memory installed on your machine. For instance if you want to set the initial Heap size to 512MB and the maximum Heap size to 1GB, you would set these properties as follows:

lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.initial=536870912
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.max=1073741824

5.) Once those properties are set to an appropriate value for your machine, save the InstallAnywhere.lax file.
6.) Start the IDE and try the build again.

Once you have increased the Heap size to an appropriate value, you should be able to complete the build without any errors."

If you are building via the command you also need to up the build.lax file.

Hope this helps.

The above is for build time out of memory.

To increase the memory at install time you need to open the InstallAnywhere IDE, select the Project tab and highlight the Config child.

Set the Minimum Heap Size:
and
Maximum Heap Size to be bigger. i set my as follows 16777216 and 201326592 respectively.

Regards
Ettiene
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

Thanks, I'll change these values and build the installer again and check is it works fine.
But I still do not understand why the installer worked on other 64bit machines like vista and xp, but failed on w2k3 server. Does it also depend on the machine also?
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

I'm facing the same issue on UNIX (Linux, HP) platforms as well..
I changed the Maximum Heap Value from 50331648 to 201326592
The minimum heap size remains same as 16777216.
After increasing the heap size, the installer works properly sometimes but not always. Sometimes it does give the same OutofMemory error.
I really do not understand why this is happening? and how do I fix it permanently? and why the same installer works on some machines and gives above error on another?
Please do reply.
0 Kudos
ettieneb
Level 4

Hi

I had similar results, after increasing my heap size my installers worked on most Operating systems, yet was failing on FreeBSD6.1, After much frustration i decreased the size of my installers by creating merge modules for the OS specific binaries, and only including those merge modules for the specific OS. On the components tab there is a clean components button, this decreased the size of the actual XML file.

Hope this helps, it worked for me to split the installer into multiple merge modules.

Regards
Ettiene
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

Can user do something during runtime if they get this issue?like specifying heap memory size on the command line.?
0 Kudos
ettieneb
Level 4

I never found a way to do this, hence setting the Max Heap size in the installer and it will use that allocation.
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

The another strange thing is that this issue is 'user specific'.
When I tried to install with different user on the same machine, it worked !!
there was no error? What does that mean?
0 Kudos
ettieneb
Level 4

I have seen before that if the /tmp dir is mounted as a different drive, the permissions on the drive look 100%, yet when you mount the drive it can be mounted not to allow execution. but this should fail every time, this is a very difficult one to track down.

it might be user permissions, as it extracts the installer to the /tmp dir, i would suggest checking permissions for the users.
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

No, I do not feel, its a problem of either permissions or disk space.. this is something different..
Another thing is that this error does not appear just when the installer is run, it appears when the installation of files start after 3-4 panels of setting the directory and license-agreement panel, etc.. though it doesn't even create the installation directory..
0 Kudos