cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rvhoof
Level 3

OS X In Dock aliases makes OS X go crazy

When running the installer and when the user selects to have aliases created 'In the Dock' OS X goes crazy during the installation of those aliases. It maximizes all applications that were minized and for every alias hides the dock, adds the icon for the alias, and makes the dock re-appear. When you install a bunch of aliases you think that things are going wrong, at least our users do. The aliases are furthermore generically names with some package name and not with the name of the alias. Only when the alias is activated does it get assigned the proper name.

IA should not maximize any of the minimized applications, nor should it be hiding/displaying the dock for every alias and it should assign the proper name to the alias.

Is there any setting I need to change to have this behave properly?

This is using IA 2008 Enterprise Build 3428, running on OS X 10.4.11 with JSE 1.5.0_06 as the default Java VM.

Thanks,
Ron
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

What IA does is restarting the dock... this causes the rest of the described actions! Officially Apple does not support putting aliases inside the dock during the installation and it is not liked by Mac OS users anyway... so just do not install aliases there!

Best Regards,
Yves

P.S: IA doesn't even create a Mac OS application (i.e. an .app folder) for the whole application but only for the laucher, but you can "convince" it to do so!
0 Kudos
rvhoof
Level 3

Thanks Yves. I'll advise my users to stick with the default in our installer (do not install aliases).

Ron
0 Kudos