cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandy_2008
Level 7

Native installers possible? Pls reply

Can IA produce native installers for platforms like Windows, Linux, and HP?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

What exactly do you understand by native installers? For Windows the final setup will be an .exe, that can run only on Windows. For Unices there will be a .bin file which is a combination of shell and archive, but I don't think that IA can produce for instance an RPM or a DEB package or whatever the HPUX native packaging is.
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

Yes, by native installer, I meant the native packaging style of OS like RPM for Linux.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

Does anyone has any idea about a recommended software which can produce native installers?
(May be I shouldn't ask this question here 😉 )
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

Basically I was thinking of native installer only because we want to give our patch in the form of installer. But before that we have to find out if the product installation already exist on the machine. I need to know this on UNICES.
For ex, if I install our product RPM on Redhat Linux, my patch installer can find out using rpm command if the product is installed or not.
But, if I install using 'install.bin', then how to know if the product is installed or not?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you look in the Advanced Designer task Project > Platforms > UNIX, you'll see an option to at least register your product in RPM on Linux (and the SWVPD on AIX).

Likewise, the default behavior is to register the product in Add or Remove Programs on Windows, using information in Project > Description (and you can turn this off using $REGISTER_UNINSTALLER_WINDOWS$).
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

sandy_2008 wrote:
Does anyone has any idea about a recommended software which can produce native installers?
(May be I shouldn't ask this question here 😉 )

Alternatively to what Robert suggested is you to make an RPM that installs your installer somewhere on the system, creates the installer.properties file, then installs your setup in silent mode.
0 Kudos
sandy_2008
Level 7

Robert, I tried with registering my product to RPM and created new installer for Linux.
After installation, I didn't find any virtual package installed on Linux. I tried to find out using rpm -qa command. Ami I doing anything wrong.?

pv7721, Do you mean to say that instead of using 'Expand archive' or Speed folders, I should use 'Install Linux RPM'? If yes, then I can't do it because our product has many components. Thats means for every component the user selects, there should be a rpm package.
0 Kudos