cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thx1138
Level 2

LAX files and UAC

We have kind of an interesting issue. In our product, we wish to allow users to make changes that would imply a change to the lax file (in particular the Java heap size). But on Windows-7 with UAC turned on, a non-admin isn't able to rewrite the lax file.

The question comes up - is there any way to tell LaunchAnywhere that the lax file is some location other than the directory in which the executable lives? So far I haven't found anything - it seems to always want to find it in the same directory.

In theory one can use the VirtualStore that Windows-7 provides for "legacy" applications, which would let us rewrite the lax file to the VirtualStore directory, and this would take precedence over the version in the programfiles directory. But while this might sort of work, it would be a real pain in the neck to try and support.

Does anyone have any thoughts here? We are currently on 2008, but if all it takes is an upgrade, I suppose that could be arranged..
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
pv7721
Level 20

As LaunchAnywheres are just wrappers around java, they need .LAX files along for properties reasons. So I don't think you can separate the executable which is just dumb without a lax file (it's there where it knows the JVM, the additional parameters etc.)
0 Kudos