cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

Invoking an exe from another

Hi
I have a requirement in which I have to give an option to user from the master installer,whether he wants to install a child installer or not.If Yes then we should install the child installer.It is like invoking an exe from another exe based on some check box or something.
Does anyone has any thoughts on how to implement this?

Thanks
-Vikz
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

The simplest thing to do would be to install the 2nd installer in a temporary location and execute it in silent mode when required (i.e. when the end user has checked the appropriate checkbox).
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

pv7721 wrote:
The simplest thing to do would be to install the 2nd installer in a temporary location and execute it in silent mode when required (i.e. when the end user has checked the appropriate checkbox).

Hi Vlad. Thanks a bunch for the tip. I was able to invoke an exe from another exe in windows platform."Execute Command" panel did it for me.

Now I have to do the same thing for HPUX and Solaris platform. I am working on it.

I am unaware of executing the installer from silent mode.Is there any panel which gives us this option?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

No, there isn't any special option. All you need to do is to create an installer.properties file along the installed .exe and then use Execute Installed Target like this:

name of the installed setup -i silent 

or

name of the installed setup -f path to the installer.properties 
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

pv7721 wrote:
No, there isn't any special option. All you need to do is to create an installer.properties file along the installed .exe and then use Execute Installed Target like this:

name of the installed setup -i silent 

or

name of the installed setup -f path to the installer.properties 

Let me try this option.
0 Kudos