cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Installing over top of existing install: JVM memory increase

I've been having a problem where users are installing over the top of an old installation, and after about 5 or so, the installer begins to hang. I tried this myself, and I watched with Task Manager, and it seemed that each install was needing a lot more memory than the previous one. It also made the uninstall_location/.com.zerog.registry.xml much larger, so perhaps having to read and process this file was responsible for the memory increase.

Naturally my preferred solution would involve memory not increasing without bound. But that's unlikely to change in the version of IA that I'm currently using. I don't know if upgrading would be beneficial.

So, given that memory seems like it's going to increase without bound, is there any reason not to just say the JVM can have half a gig (or even more) for maximum memory size?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RamyaVenkatesh
Level 7

Hi,

You can try using the optimize registry entry checkbox for all your components(available under Organization > Components in IA IDE). This will avoid duplicate entries from going into the registry file and hence avoid increase of memory usage.

Let me know if it helps.
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Unfortunately, optimize registry entry seems to be a feature added in IA2011, so not available in IA2010. I expect we'll be upgrading to 2012 sometime, though, so I'm glad to know this will help us in the future.
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

I tried an experiment in which I delete the .com.zerog.registry.xml file from the uninstall directory at the end of the pre-install phase, and that seems to (a) work and (b) keep memory and file size under control. I'm not sure if there are going to be any other repercussions to having deleted the file, though. Any ideas what disaster I might be causing for the future?
0 Kudos