cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barlock
Level 4

Installer Hangs Generating Splash Screen

Testing globalization on an Intel Linux box, my installer hangs while it is generating the splash screen. In debug mode, it spews:

Image still not fully loaded: width < 0

This only happens in the French locale; the other nine languages we support are fine. The French splash screen displays fine in other tools, so I don't believe it is corrupt. All 10 splash screens are part of the DO NOT INSTALL folder. I'm running IA 2010 SP1. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Chris
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
barlock
Level 4

I just discovered it also happens when the locale is set to tr_TR (Turkish). In this case, the installer should display the English splash screen, since we don't provide a Turkish translation.

Chris
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Hello,

I ran in a similar issue in the past and I was told about a change in installanywhere code that removed duplicate files.

My issue was with an image I was using twice (Same file with different name) and I went in the same error.

You can give a try by editing "French locale" splash screen and "Turkish" one and saving this file with the editor (so checksum will be different). Then try building again.
0 Kudos
barlock
Level 4

I saw your thread on this problem. I think my problem is something differenent. I ran a CRC32 checksum on all of the splash screens; they are all unique.

Chris
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

barlock wrote:
I saw your thread on this problem. I think my problem is something differenent. I ran a CRC32 checksum on all of the splash screens; they are all unique.

Chris

So you will need to open an incident to flexera support !

You can check which file is empty by exploring the generated zip files in (e.g. for windows):

C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Temp\IXXXXXX\InstallerData\...etc...

for me it was
C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Temp\I1240307761\InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1.zip
Where Resource1.zip contained some empty files.
0 Kudos
barlock
Level 4

Yet another Flexera problem report....

I see the JPG splash screens in the InstallerData/installer.zip -- and I can extract the French one and display it in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer just fine. Problem report it is!

Chris
0 Kudos
barlock
Level 4

No problem report needed. The source of the problem was a bad JPG file for the French translation.

Chris
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Bad in what way? (would be great to know for the rest of us in order to avoid a similar issue).
0 Kudos
barlock
Level 4

I will see if I can find out. I noticed that the French JPG was 877 KB, while the rest were in the 50-100 KB range. I reported this to our translation team and they replaced it with a new version that was much smaller, like the rest, and it fixed the problem. I've asked them for details and will report back here.

Chris
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Oh, maybe when saved it was saved with some high resolution options... or interlaced... or even simply the size might be an issue (but this only IA support could tell, if they manage to get the information from the developers, i.e. what is the maximum size of a .jpeg file that can be used without causing problems).
0 Kudos
barlock
Level 4

I'm told that the translator exported it to a format other than JPG and named it JPG.

Chris
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well, nice human error! 🙂 But maybe IA can do something about it, improve the error message, after all is rather easy to detect if a file is really a JPEG or not.
0 Kudos