cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erglau
Level 3

Installation log on desktop after exiting during pre-install

Hi all,

When I exit the installer during the pre-install phase, the installation log appears on the Windows desktop even if a different path was specified in the Log Settings and in the $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$ variable (this variable is set before any other pre-install actions).

The log only appears in the proper directory if I exit the installer after the actual install phase has started.

Has anyone seen this before? I am using IA 2011 Enterprise SP1.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
andrew_yun
Level 3

I believe the install log is left at where your installer is if the installation is incomplete.
0 Kudos
erglau
Level 3

The install log seems to be left on the desktop regardless of the installer's location on the filesystem.
0 Kudos
andrew_yun
Level 3

erglau wrote:
The install log seems to be left on the desktop regardless of the installer's location on the filesystem.

I guess I got it wrong then. I always have put the installer on desktop while testing....

It seems to be a default behavior?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

andrew.yun wrote:
I guess I got it wrong then. I always have put the installer on desktop while testing....

It seems to be a default behavior?

Yes, it is.
0 Kudos
erglau
Level 3

Has anyone found a way to change this behavior? In IA 2010 the log would always go to the directory specified in $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$. I wonder if there is similar functionality in IA 2011.
0 Kudos
aullrich
Level 2

This seems to be a new issue. Happens for us as well.
0 Kudos
madhavbantwal
Level 6

Hi All,

Please observe here that the installation process has not yet begun, We are cancelling the installation pre-maturely i.e at Pre-Install phase. This is a default behavior that when the installer is cancelled at pre-installation it will leave its log on the desktop.

So, the value of $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$ remains logically void unless actual installation is completed.

So, i would like to say its a behavior and not an issue.

Hope this Helps!!

Thanks,

Madhav Pai
InstallAnywhere Engineering
Flexera Software Inc
0 Kudos
glogic
Level 3

Hi Madhav,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this behavior is not the desired behavior I am looking for. We want the installation logs to go to the installation log directory. If the installation was cancelled prematurely we still want the logs to go to the same place. This was the behavior in 2010, and has changed in 2011. Now, logs can't be counted on to be saved in a localized place. Sometimes they'll go to the user's desktop!

Are you saying that there's no way for us to put logs in a predefined location until it gets to the install section?

madhavbantwal wrote:
Hi All,

Please observe here that the installation process has not yet begun, We are cancelling the installation pre-maturely i.e at Pre-Install phase. This is a default behavior that when the installer is cancelled at pre-installation it will leave its log on the desktop.

So, the value of $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$ remains logically void unless actual installation is completed.

So, i would like to say its a behavior and not an issue.

Hope this Helps!!

Thanks,

Madhav Pai
InstallAnywhere Engineering
Flexera Software Inc
0 Kudos
TomCarey
Level 4

The only way I could find was
as the first step in Pre-Install -
(1) save the current $DESKTOP$ variable in an new variable - $SAVE_DESKTOP$
(2) change current $DESKTOP$ variable to where you want the bogus log to go. I just used the $INSTALLER_TEMP_DIR$ since it exists.
(NOTE: I did not test what happens if the directory doesn't exist)

as the first step in Install
(3) reset the $DESKTOP$ variable to $SAVE_DESKTOP$
0 Kudos