cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pv7721
Level 20

InstallAnywhere 2009

Has anyone out there had the time to try it out? I've just installed it and here are my first impressions (I'll edit the post in order to reflect new findings):

1. Right from the install I liked the fact that (I think) it followed the existing installation structure (I like to have IA installed right underneath Program Files instead of a subfolder (it used to be Zero G, then Macrovision, so I was expecting Acresso Software! 🙂

2. There used to be an annoying bug that made that whenever Preferences were saved in an evaluation version Source Paths were lost the first time (but now it looks that this finally got fixed! 🙂

3. There used to be another very annoying edit mode whenever lines had to be filled in a table: for instance in the Source Path you started to add them, but as there is no ordering in the table, one had to be careful where the new line was to be inserted. If the editing was not finished on the line, there was an annoying popup that prompted the user to either finish the editing or to delete the invalid row. Now the behavior seems to have been changed to silently discard the invalid row and no longer prompt the user! Looking forward to seeing it replicated everywhere in the Advanced Designer if it's not the case...

4. For now there's a thing I don't like in the Rules checking. I don't know for what reason they seemed to think that identifying all Windows version with a single Windows (All) rule is a good thing: well, it's not for everybody, as like for instance, if we are to phase out support on some older Windows versions (say 2K) I would like to be able to specifically prevent the installer from running on Windows 2K, but as I've seen it, deleting the existing rule Check Platform and adding a new one adds a Windows (All) platform only...

More to come...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
bjfrary
Level 4

I am having trouble getting the software registered. Itt keeps coming up in trail mode. I even got an email saying they would register me with support but it still doesn't come up. It seems to want to connect with some server but it is failing. Maybe it is something with a firewall (doesn't every company have those?) but it keeps saying it can't connect.

It would be nice to give me an indication of what the problem might be!
0 Kudos
tfromm1
Level 7

When cannot connect there is a button which stores the registration into a file. This file can be send to acresso.
0 Kudos
bjfrary
Level 4

I did select that option. I got whatever the completion message was and I sent the file to accresso. They sent me an email back saying I was registered with support. I then tried to go back into 2009 and was in a trial version.

I tried reregistering but it would never connect. I didn't try the file again because I had the file. As a last ditch effort I saved to the file again and I got the registered successful message again and this time I it was fully registered.

Everytime I get a new product I have a problem. They have had a glitch in their suport contract tracking that takes me off the contract every time we renew. So I always go through not being able to get support even though we pay for it.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Depending on the size of the company you're working for (when compared to Acresso 😉 if I were you, I (or if not me, I would ask my management to do it for me 🙂 I would put some pressure on them, telling them that really it is not possible to go to the same tedious process over and over again (whenever you try to register a new version) because obviously it is happening only to you (to be completely honest, I think that it might have happened to me too, but only once!)
0 Kudos
bjfrary
Level 4

We get this problem because the person who uses the support contract (me) is different from the person who arranges for the contract. I can't believe this doesn't happen in other companies.
0 Kudos