cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SarahConner
Level 2

InstallAnywhere 2008 VP1 - Suite installer - How to ?

Hi All,

I want to create a suite installer. A main suite or front-end which will dynamically handle the available products & features that are present

· Three products with user selectable features:

o Product 1
§ Feature 1A
· Component 1A
§ Feature 1B
· Component 1B
§ Feature 1C
· Component 1C (requires 1A)

o Product 2
§ Feature 2A
· Component 2A
§ Feature 2B
· Component 2B (requires 1B)
§ Feature 2C
· Component 2C

o Product 3
§ Feature 3A
· Component 3A
§ Feature 3B
· Component 3B (requires 2B)
§ Feature 3C
· Component 3C

· Dependencies:
o Component 1C -> Component 1A (meaning Component 1C requires Component 1A to be installed)
o Component 2B -> Component 1B
o Component 3B -> Component 2B

To use ISMP 11.5 logic & terminology, i would want a main installer with assemblies for the products. Any component which has an external dependency on it should be in a separate assembly. Something like an assembly for each of the following: one for Component 1B, one for the rest of Product 1, one for Component 2B, one for the rest of Product 2 and one for all of Product 3. In IA2008, I think assemblies are called merge modules & one might not need separate pieces for an externally callable piece like that.

When I was playing with IA earlier, I could not figure out how to display the features to the user without having the main part know about the features of each product. It would be really nice if anyone could suggest so that when you change the features in the IA project for Product 1, you don’t have to do anything in the main suite, but the user can still select which features he/she wants. Each product should be responsible for handling it own features. In ISMP 11.5, you could have the assembly display a panel with the available features & keep track of what the user wants. I couldn’t get that to work in IA.

I'm using IA2008 VP 1.

Thanks
Sarah
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
ElihuRozen
Level 3

Hi Sarah,

Did you ever figure this out? I asked a similar qestion back in March & nobody replied to me either. I just recently started looking into this again. This was my original post: http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=178829

Thanks,
Elihu
0 Kudos