cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lkhoney2003
Level 6

InstallAnyWhere 2010 Crash

I am evaluating InstallAnyWhere and found that sometime it is getting crash while saving the project.
Please let me know if it is a bug (or feature 😄 )
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(21) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Can you post the error message / crash?
0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

It was getting close without any error. So I am not having any error code.
0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

I am having some files named hs_err_pid1780.log, hs_err_pid2472.log & hs_err_pid5460.log. I am not sure if they belongs to the crash. Do you need those files?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

It looks like you've experienced a JVM crash. On what platform do you run IA?
0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

Windows XP SP2 (32-Bit)
JRE 1.6 Update14
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Ok, so far, nothing exotic... but it is hard for me to believe that they haven't extensively tested this rather usual configuration. If you would like you might want to download another VM from here: http://www.flexerasoftware.com/downloads/vmpacks/win32/SunJRE160_15Win32.vm and use it with IA or just get the latest JVM version (which is 1.6.0_18) and modify the IA LAX file to make it run against this newer version, in order to see if still crashes...
0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

My Eval period is getting expired today. So cant test IA with new VM.
Is there any way to increase my Eval Period?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Yes, there is one, but you need to ask Flexera Software about that.
0 Kudos
jijujacob27
Level 6

Hi Vlad & lkhoney2003,

There seems to be an issue with JRE 1.6 u15 and some other previous editions of JRE with respect to the GDI/ Direct Draw functionality on Windows.

You could work around this by adding this line
lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

to your InstallAnywhere.lax file

Hope this helps. I also guess that this issue should not be reproducible with JRE1.6u18

Thanks,
0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

Please let me know the location where i need to add the text in InstallAnywhere.lax file.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Look for the line

lax.nl.current.vm=jre\\bin\\java.exe

and point it to your installed JVM for instance

lax.nl.current.vm=..\\Java\\jre6\\bin\\java.exe
0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

what about the line suggested by jacob

0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

unfortunately my Installed JVM is JRE6Update14 that is one update less than the version shipped in InstallAnyWhere2010 i.e. JRE6Update15. I dont think setting my JRE path will resolve the issue.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well you've got two options, either the one suggested by Jacob, either mine (and it was suggested by him also) which assumed that you install the latest JVM version.
0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

Here I am little bit confused about the location to add the line

Jacob has suggested below work around:

Do I need to add above line below this line or Am I free to add above line anywhere in the file?
lax.nl.current.vm=jre\\bin\\java.exe
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

As far as I know, line order is not important in a .LAX file, but the common sense would have made me add the new line with lax.nl.java.option.additional at the end of the file, so it would come after the lax.nl.current.vm...
0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

Thanks Vlad.
I will try and let you know in case of any issue.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

If the issue is still present, you may want to try several other things (maybe update windows, especially the graphic card driver, as it was graphic related) maybe try a newer Windows version (Vista / 7) or completely switch platform (use a Linux instead).
0 Kudos
lkhoney2003
Level 6

:eek:
This would be a very costly solution. We cant switch OS only to run InstallAnyWhere :D.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

That is why we suggested changing JVM in the first place, on one hand, and on the other hand, nowadays with the use of Virtual Machine I don't think switching OS to be so hard (and giving up a Windows license for a free Linux is not at all costly, IMHO, on the contrary! 🙂
0 Kudos