cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scarney
Level 5

Install from Manifest.txt / Permissions?

I am performing an install from Manifest.
I did a little proof-of-concept in which I build an installer in which the manifest contains one specification which essentially copies a file from one place to another on the file system. That worked fine.
Now I am trying to build the Manifest.txt for real in our project.

[LIST=1]
  • I started out using a build time variable to specify the root folder where the install inputs are. That didn't work.
  • Then I tried specifying the root relative to $IA_PROJECT_DIR$ that didn't work.
  • Then I hardwired the path and it still didn't work even through the files are clearly there.
  • So now I am suspecting a permissions problem. I have to do the build as administrator on a Windows 7 64 bit box. However, I am running the installer as myself. I made sure I have read and execute permissions on the folder, subfolders and files. Still the installer can't see the file. What else might I be missing?

--
    Regards,
    Sandra Carney
  • Labels (1)
    0 Kudos
    (1) Reply
    scarney
    Level 5

All,

I got past the permissions problem. I am now able to build an installer from a manifest and I am able to specify the path to my install inputs via the $IA_PROJECT_DIR$ variable. However, what I really want to do is define a build time variable. Now, pp. 190 of the InstallAnywhere 2013 User Guide describes several methods. I tried the command line methods as we are doing this as part of a build system. Results:

[LIST=1]
  • Use buildproperties.properties file: In here I define 'STAGE=C:\path\to\root\of\where\to\get\inputs\to\install'. I call build.exe on the command line where the first argument is the path to the .iap_xml file and the second is the -btv path-to-properties-file. InstallAnywhere doesn't seem to be able to resolve my build time variable. In the build log, it says it can't find any of the files located under @STAGE@\path\to\file
  • Use buildproperties.xml file: In here I define : STAGE=C:\path\to\root\of\where\to\get\inputs\to\installi. I call build.exe on the command line where the first argument is the path to the .iap_xml file and second is -p path-to-properties-xml-file. Same result. @STAGE@ is not resolved by InstallAnywhere. What am I missing?
  • 0 Kudos