cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dj_segfault
Level 2

IA uninstalling things it didn't install

We have a product that depends on Eclipse. If the user does a custom install, they have the option of installing Eclipse or not. If they choose to not install Eclipse, a dialog box asks them to select the directory where their existing Eclipse is, and stores the location in $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_1$. If they choose to install Eclipse, a separate action will set $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_1$ to $USER_INSTALL_DIR$$\$Eclipse 3.3.2 (a subdirectory of our product). During the Install actions, if the Eclipse feature was selected, it gets installed into $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_1$. Whether Eclipse was installed or an existing instance was selected, some files get installed under $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_1$.

The problem is this: If the user chooses to use an existing Eclipse (Eclipse is not installed), when our product is uninstalled, it uninstalls the existing Eclipse that was never installed by InstallAnywhere!! I would have thought it would only uninstall features that were installed.

Is there a way of preventing this from happening? There seems to be very little control over the uninstall process. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Would it be possible for you to post your project?
0 Kudos
dj_segfault
Level 2

Yes, sorry, I meant to do that. Zipped and attached.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

I'm not 100% sure, but this is what I think from checking your project: you use the same variable $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_1$ which in case the user already has an Eclipse installed is set to the user installation of Eclipse. But then in your Install section you've got this $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_1$/eclipse folder, which has got the following option checked: "Recursively delete all contents of this folder during uninstall". So this is what IA does at uninstall time... and if the $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_1$ folder has been set at user's existing Eclipse installation... it'll be deleted when uninstalling your product...
0 Kudos