cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loiseau
Level 4

How to create a program group for shortcuts on windows

Hi,

Does anybody know how to group several shortcuts into a program group ?

I have 3 shortcuts and I want them to appear inside a program group,
ie: - startup menu - my application
- shortcut1
- shortcut2
- shortcut3

In the action 'Create Alias,Link,Shortcut',
- I choose 'All users Programs Menu'
- the field after the choice box contains '7' and can't be edited (I would like to put '/MyApplication' in place of '/')

As a result my shortcuts appear at the top level of my menu.

Why this field cannot be edited ?
is it a bug or is there another way to do it ?

Thank you and kind regards
Loiseau
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jerome_IA
Level 9

I am not understanding => "the field after the choice box contains '7' and can't be edited"

Can you please post a screen shot of this ?

On the install part, your shortcut should be under "Magic folder: All users programs Menu", then you should be able to create a new folder and put your shortcut there.

--Jerome
0 Kudos
Loiseau
Level 4

jerome_IA wrote:
I am not understanding => "the field after the choice box contains '7' and can't be edited"

Can you please post a screen shot of this ?

On the install part, your shortcut should be under "Magic folder: All users programs Menu", then you should be able to create a new folder and put your shortcut there.

--Jerome

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for your quick answer,

1) About: "the field after the choice box contains '7' and can't be edited",
I missed the shift key and wanted to say "the field after the choice box contains '/' and can't be edited"

2) according to your recommandations,
- In the pre-install phase, I set Magic_folder_3 to $win_common_programs_menu$$/$MyApplication
- In the install phase, I create folder $Magic_folder_3$
- Afterwards, In the install phase too, I create my shortcuts into the $Magic_folder_3$ folder

As a result, after installation, the program group 'MyApplication' is created but is left empty.
The shortcuts have not been created and the log does not show any error.

So as to make sure My shortcuts are ok, I have double created them under "All Users Programs Menu" (same as $win_common_programs_menu$) and they are here.

Could you tell me please if I have properly understood the solution you suggested to me.

Thanks and regards
Loiseau
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

>In the install phase, I create folder $Magic_folder_3$

Maybe this is the mistake!!

Do not create the folder ... put/create your shortcut (install phase) in the root of installation dir (purple folder icon!!!)
Then modify you shortcut path to be in the folder of your choice ( 'All users Programs Menu' )
=> This will automagically create a new purple folder icon (if none exist yet) for the path you selected and move shortcut in it.
Then under this new purple folder icon, you can create a directory and move your shortcut under it.

Hope it will help

--Jerome
0 Kudos