cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kalpeer
Level 3

How to change VM packs path vie Variable

Hi All,

I need to pick the VM packs from different location (say /opt/VM) instead of /resource/installer_vms.
I plan to move all VM packs from IA_DIR>/resource/installer_vms directory.

So I added my VM path location (/opt/VM) in Edit/Preferences/ Resources/ VM Pack Resource Paths dialog.
It Build configuration panel it lists all the VMS available under /opt/VM/.
This preference changes are stored in my home directory.

I need to save these preference settings permanently in .xml file. Since the InstallAnywhere will be launched by different users.
Is there any InstallAnywhere variable that updates the installer_vms directory from default location to another location?

Please help me in this.

Regards
Kalai
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
jerome_IA
Level 9

In build command line, you can define a build properties file in which you can define vm path.

something like: com.zerog.ia.build.vmpack.XXX.path where XXX is platform specific.

Refer to the documentation for more details.

--Jerome
0 Kudos
kalpeer
Level 3

I created build.properties files and placed in the same location where my project file(iab.xml) is available.
cat build.properties
com.zerog.ia.build.vmpack.solaris.path=/opt/VM
com.zerog.ia.build.platform.solaris.vm=SunJRE160_24SolarisSPARC.vm

But still I am not able to see the SunJRE160_24SolarisSPARC.vm pack in InstallAnywhere under Build->Build configuration Build targets

Correct me if I have misunderstood.
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

kalpeer wrote:
I created build.properties files and placed in the same location where my project file(iab.xml) is available.
cat build.properties
com.zerog.ia.build.vmpack.solaris.path=/opt/VM
com.zerog.ia.build.platform.solaris.vm=SunJRE160_24SolarisSPARC.vm

But still I am not able to see the SunJRE160_24SolarisSPARC.vm pack in InstallAnywhere under Build->Build configuration Build targets

Correct me if I have misunderstood.

You won't see it in the GUI/build targets, the build.properties file will overwrite it at build time.
But if you do a build, then this /opt/VM/SunJRE160_24SolarisSPARC.vm
should be used.
0 Kudos
kalpeer
Level 3

Thanks a lot Jerome..
It worked fine.
0 Kudos
kalpeer
Level 3

To build.properties I added the below statement for Windows build

com.zerog.ia.build.vmpack.windows.path=/opt/VM/SunJRE160_07Win32.vm
com.zerog.ia.build.platform.windows.vm=true
com.zerog.ia.build.platform.windows.novm=false

During the command line build VM is getting picked up from /resource/installer_vms only.
For Solaris and Linux VM pack is picked from /opt/VM/ directory but for Windows its getting picked from default location.
If I remove the Windows VM pack from /resource/installer_vms directory build is getting failed.

Please help me to solve this problem. I am doing the build in Solaris platform.
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

I don't know if there is a misconfiguration or an issue there ... I'm not using this setting.

anyway in documentation, it refer:

config.1.com.zerog.ia.build.vmpack.windows.path=

where "config" seems to be the name of your build configuration (in case you have more than one. (named 'Migrated Configuration' if not renamed).

Try tuning this, otherwise maybe ask some help from support.

--Jerome
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

It remind me an old issue from the time I was using this build properties file, and I had opened an incident to support for a similar reason.

As they didn't fixed this in a timely fashion, I get rid of this properties file.

So I went to my old incident cases, and found that they were suggesting me to use xml properties file instead of text.

You can find template under \resource\build. The file is named "BuildProperties.xml"

Have a nice try .... and keep us informed

--Jerome
0 Kudos
kalpeer
Level 3

Thanks Jerome, i will try with properties.xml file and will update .

Today i got the below error when i try to use the VM from different location via build.properties file.

InstallResources/>

Error Generating the Solaris with VM
Installer.

0 Kudos
kalpeer
Level 3

I created the BuildProperties.xml file under where my project was available.
Below is the BuildProperties.xml file contents

InstallAnywhere fails to generate the installer for Solaris platform.

InstallAnywhere projext.xml –p BuildProperties.xml
Please help me in this.
If there is any link for the documentation please provide me.

Regards,
Kalai
0 Kudos