cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anitha
Level 5

How do i set the registry heirarchy

When i run my product the registry entries goes into the heirarchy :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\

But i want them into a different heirarchy.
:confused:
How do i set the registry heirarchy..

Thanks,
Anusha
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
GetExp
Level 6

The entries which are made at the said registry location is created by the installer itself... I have some basic questions.

1.) What is the intention to move the entries to a different location (since it has some adverse effects)
2.) Currently what is the problem you are facing due to the entry at the default location?

I hope this info will help me to help you better
0 Kudos
anitha
Level 5

according to my requirement the registry entries under should be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\companyname\productname

but currently the registries are created under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\
0 Kudos
GetExp
Level 6

I agree. But there is a limitation from the MSI side to prevent creating the specific registry entries under ARPCache. This entry has got some relationship with the applications that you have installed in the machine. If you need to delete it anyhow, you can do the same at the end of the installation or create the same entries in your application specific registry key but NO GUARANTEE whether it will provide the same functionality as the ARPCache.
0 Kudos
anitha
Level 5

but how do i remove or add registries during the installation.
I couldnt find any options or variables in Install Anywhere for doing it.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

You can do it by the means of .zgr files: (ZeroG registry files) and within IA you have the built-in action Set Windows Registry - Multiple Entries. The current .zgr file we use to do for the exact same thing is:

DELIMITER=,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\$PRODUCT_NAME$, Version, STRING, $VERSION$
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\$PRODUCT_NAME$, DisplayVersion, STRING, $PRODUCT_ID$
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\$PRODUCT_NAME$, DisplayIcon, STRING, $USER_INSTALL_DIR$\bin\$PROJECT_NAME$.ico

0 Kudos
GetExp
Level 6

Possibly you can also use vbscripts in InstallAnywhere. I assumed that you were using InstallShield....:-(
0 Kudos
anitha
Level 5

Thank you
Can i know how can we achieve this using .zgr files
how do i call them from installer to set the windows registry heirarchy
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

anitha, you're completely new to IA, am I right? The problem is that pretty much every question you asked so far it's already answered in the manual!
0 Kudos
anitha
Level 5

Sorry for it but i started looking into IA hardly from a month
0 Kudos
anitha
Level 5

I have gone through the help document but could not find a way to set the registry heirarchy..
Can anyone please help me on how to do this?
0 Kudos