cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mythicwave
Level 3

Displaying Russian License Agreement

I'm using InstallAnywhere 8, but want to see if this is fixed in InstallAnywhere 2009 to see if I should upgrade.

When I run the installer in Russian, my license agreement looks like garbage characters. The UI portion of the installer with localized strings looks ok. The license agreement and my localized files (custom_ru, etc.) are all UTF-8 and look ok in Notepad. Should I be using a UTF-8 license agreement? If not should I use HTML, RTF, etc?

Thanks,

Brian
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

I think it also depends if you support console mode installation. I know that IA could not display accented characters (like they exist in French for instance) it would simply discard them...
0 Kudos
mythicwave
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
I think it also depends if you support console mode installation. I know that IA could not display accented characters (like they exist in French for instance) it would simply discard them...

I'm not sure what this has to do with console mode. This is a graphical installer and is not intended to support console mode. Also, it's much worse than just not showing French accents. Languages like Czech and Russian use different codepages. The custom_cs, custom_ru, etc. files can use UTF-8 so will display localized strings correctly in Unicode fonts. But what about the EULA? Does it display in Unicode or always use the default system font? Should I change to HTML or RTF to get it to use Unicode or an appropriate font?

Thanks,

Brian
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

HTML might be an alternative to try.
0 Kudos
mythicwave
Level 3

pv7721 wrote:
HTML might be an alternative to try.

Nope. Neither a correctly encoded Russian HTML file that displays fine in Firefox or a UTF-8 file that displays fine in Notepad work in InstallAnywhere 2009. Seems odd for this software not to work correctly since NSIS does just fine and is free.

Incidentally, I found an omission in the manual that the developers are supposedly fixing. If you are running on a system with a codepage other than the one in your target locales, those locales won't show up in your initial selection dialog box. That is, unless you add this to the optional installer arguments: -Dlax.locales=all

-- Brian
0 Kudos